Do you have a removable dental bridge?

Helen317October 12, 2005

Hope there are people here to share their experience. I just got one two days ago. It's replacing two teeth that had to come out and adding two molars on each side. It's driving me mad! I am so negative--I should be rejoicing that I can chew without worrying that I'm going to choke on a big piece of meat that I couldn't chew properly, etc. It makes me feel very claustrophobic. Also, eating with the thing in is weird. Will I get used to it????????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisande

You will definitely get used to it. Trust me, you will.

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 1:19PM
downsouth

did they talk with you about implants?

I think you will get used to it unless there is something that is hitting your gums and they need to do a little more shaping.

DH had all of his top teeth pulled 2 yrs ago and he has to take his dentures out immediately after he eats. He starts gagging. We would love to get implants for him but its $12,000. Our dentist said if they ever come down in price, DH will be the first one he calls.

I wish you the best of luck.

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 4:14PM
Helen317

Susan, thanks for the assurance. I will try and trust you!

downsouth, I've lost too much bone to get implants. But anyway, there's no way I could afford them. I feel sorry for your husband. I noticed this morning when I put the bridge in, I felt a bit of the gagging reflex coming on.

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 4:54PM
gmom74

Helen, I've used a bridge for many, many years and I'm so happy to have it. The only time I'm aware of it during the day is when food gets under one of the teeth. Of course, it's removed at night to let the tissues have a rest. You'll get used to it.

Bookmark   October 15, 2005 at 6:55PM
Helen317

Thanks, gmom. I love taking it out at night. I feel so free and "normal." Two of my friends have them, and they both, like you, say they are completely used to it. I wonder how long it will be before I start to lose the awareness of something in my mouth.

Bookmark   October 16, 2005 at 1:18PM
Logfrog

Helen, have you told your dentist that it's uncomfortable? sometimes it just takes a minor adjustment to make all the difference in the world. If you don't feel better about it in a couple of days, check with him.
Frog

Bookmark   October 16, 2005 at 5:29PM
Helen317

Thanks Frog, I will check with him.

Helen

Bookmark   October 17, 2005 at 11:07AM
lindac

If your bridge is uncomfortable, you need a different dentist!
I have a permenant bridge....just one tooth but it doesn't come out.....and I clean under it with a little floss threader......and unless I get a seed caught, never know it's there.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 20, 2005 at 12:09AM
Helen317

Linda C, the bridge is not so much uncomfortable as much as it's just *there*--the task is getting used to something in my mouth.

Helen

Bookmark   October 21, 2005 at 11:00AM
goldy

You will get used to it.It's better than full dentures.You should thank God for every real tooth you have in your mounth.

Bookmark   October 22, 2005 at 9:09AM
srachel

There is no need of the removable dental bridge, because dental bridge once fixed then there is no need to removed until it is damaged.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 8:11AM
rcutro3346_aol_com

I just lost my upper right rear tooth. I now have a gap between it and the two adjoining teath. I would like to fill that gab with a removable bridge, but my dentist tells me that they are no longer made in the USA.
Where did you get your removable bridge ? How does it clasp
to your other teeth ? can you chew with it? How expensive was it?

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 6:09PM
shaebrown

I think implants are better than using dental bridge as implants will be a permanent solution for your tooth and also is very good..

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 3:52AM
emma

If you think that is hard to get used to, think again. My parents didn't have the money to take care of my teeth, then as a young adult I fell and landed chin first. As a result I broke off my four front teeth, upper ones. They didn't do caps back then just bridges. I wore one for 3 or 4 years and the other teeth wouldn't support it anymore. I had all my upper's pull and a denture made. When I put that in it felt like it would fit a horse's mouth. It was awful, I ate soup and soft food for awhile. When I got use to them it was like my real teeth which is not true with lower dentures. So in the long run I was lucky.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Anyone have a hiatal hernia, need advice?
I have constant pain in my diaphram and I read on a...
love2sew
Generic Advair?
It is so expensive and my insurance doesn't cover any...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Anyone heard of Ageless Xtra?
Hi everyone, I usually post and lunk on the decorating...
customdecorator
L-dopa Rx replacement for RLS anyone?
Anyone have RLS (restless leg syndrome)? I have been...
vieja_gw
I have RLS (Restless Leg syndrome) .... anyone else taking this drug ?
Anyone suffering with Restless Leg syndrome? I have...
vieja_gw
Sponsored Products
Set of 6 Tan Nautical Square Lamp Shade 5x5x5 (Clip-On)
Lamps Plus
Waterfall Shower Panel Tower System with Body Jets
Hudson Reed
Comfort Dreams Lumbar Back Support 12-inch King-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Bracket Wall Sconce - Dino Sanchez
$350.00 | HORNE
Benjamin® Sky Chief Porcelain Stem Mount Light
Barn Light Electric Company
Large Modern Floor Lamp with Off-white Drum Shade
ParrotUncle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™