Joists dimensions vary

rerodSeptember 19, 2011

I noticed a crack in the old tile in my bathroom before removing them, but thought it was a plywood issue. But after measuring my 2x9's from below Iv determined they must have been ripped on a Monday or Friday because they vary in height about 3/16" of a inch. And may also have crowns. Either way.. It looks like this has ended my plans on installing tile or hardwood in the home. Can SLC take care of this enough where I could lay tile or hardwood?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

You can plane them down to a flat surface that matches and then install sub-floor and tile.

If you take off more than about 1/4 inch you should sister the top of the joist to restore the strength.

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 12:31PM
floorman67

If you have cracks, you have movement.

thats the FIRST issue you need to rectify.

where is the movement coming from ?

was the tile installed over a mud bed or backer board ?

if not, is the thickness of the playwoood and joist thickness and spacing enough to adhere to the L/360 minimum industry standard deflection rate ?

you certainly could mud the tiles in, starting at the high point if there is variance in the height (waviness), but that is difficult to explain in text on a website.

another consideration of a topical solution are the transitions. They finish height of the new tile compared to the finish height of the other flooring surfaces it meets, usually at doorways. If you need a flush transition, you need to do a bit of planning. If its not much of a concern, you may be able to use a doorway saddle. Most use marble for this or hardwood.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 8:57AM
rerod

Thanks.

The cracked grout was directly above the 3/4" T&G seam over a high joist. No mud bed or backer board.

Floor rated at L / 522.

I don't mind using a doorway saddle because eventually I would like to have either hardwood or tile throughout the home. I just have doubts that goal is a obtainable with my uneven joists.

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 8:25AM
More Discussions
What I Learned About Installing Engineered Floors
We just finished installing engineered flooring over...
francesca_sf
Indusparquet...opinions, please
After a frustrating on-off search for over two year,...
joyintx
Inexpensive laminate for apt. over a detached garage?
I'm shopping for a laminate for this space, my contactor...
happyallison
We might replace our wood floor with new....
I have 20yr old hardwood floor in our foyer. It is...
cindywhitall
'Nature' Brand Wood Flooring
I'm looking for either Brazilian Walnut or Brazilian...
justhuff
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™