dosage of xanax for MRI?

catherinetOctober 8, 2008

Hi all,

I'm claustrophobic, and had xanax last year to go through with an open-sided MRI. I'm having a brain MRI next week, and I can't for the life of me remember how much xanax I took for the last one. I have xanax to use in small doses for panic, but will need more for this test. I just don't want to be totally zonked. I'm curious if any of you have taken xanax for an MRI, and what dose you took. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sherrmann

Ask your doctor.

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 1:40PM
agnespuffin

PLEASE ask your doctor so that he can alert the technicians about the problem. They need to know and they also need to make the decision about how much and what to give you. With a brain MRI, the dose may be very important.

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 2:02PM
catherinet

Thanks.
I've talked to them, and its up to me how much to use. I found out today that I need a second MRI at the same time, so I'll be in the tube for 2 hours. They can give me IV valium or Versed, but I think I'll go with the xanax, since I'm used to it. I just wasn't sure how much to use to keep me out of it for a couple hours.

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 8:11PM
carla35

I would think that kind of medicine is so individualized. The amount that works for someone else could do nothing for you or totally knock you out. You know best how the dosages effect you and even how freaked out you may get. I wouldn't use someone elses miracle dosage amount.

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 11:20PM
catherinet

Thanks carla,
I think I'm going to go with the I.V. sedation that they offer there. That way I can avoid the guessing.

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 11:20AM
aerion

Is there any possibility of your having an MRI done in a structure with an opening? I know they will use them for the obese and people who are severly claustrophic? Just wondered how difficult it is to have it done that way.

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 8:40PM
catherinet

Hi aerion,
Actually, I did have mine in one of those larger bore ones. Its called an "Espree". I opted to have the I.V. sedation, but it hardly made me tired. I'm not sure if it worked or not, since I think I'm becoming a little better to tolerate those things without freaking out. It wasn't in a hospital, so they said they couldn't put me completely out. But it went okay.....even though it lasted 2 and 1/2 hours.
Now I have to wait to find out if I have a tumor or not.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 12:32PM
More Discussions
air purifier, blueair 650E/IQ healthpro plus/whirlpool AP51030K
I am considering buying one or two more air purifiers...
janesylvia
Gluten-free diet may do more harm than good
I'm not sure about you but I've been hearing from friends,...
Konrad___far_north
a night guard for teeth grinding, worth the money?
Many times with many different dentists it has been...
bug_girl
Anyone have a hiatal hernia, need advice?
I have constant pain in my diaphram and I read on a...
love2sew
Allergies
I have allergies all year around and nothing I take...
berk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™