Brac Analysis

cheerful1_gwOctober 23, 2007

I've been hearing a lot about this. It's a means of looking for genetic indicators for breast and ovarian cancer. There are similar tests for endometrial cancer and melanoma.

My mom is a breast cancer survivor. My sister is an endometrial cancer survivor. My mom also had melanoma 3 times.

Is this something I would ask my GYN about? I'm seeing her next month for my annual, and also to ask about HRT for my many menopause symptoms.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

With your family history of breast and endometrial cancers...I sure would suffer the hot flashes rather than take any HIRT!
Ask your Gyn about the Brac test....but I am guessing your insurance won't pay for it without more familial cases....sad but likely true.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 11:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zoewolf

I asked my nurse practioner about this test recently. She told me that the way the testing is done is similar to the testing for AIDS. You are given a number (never give your name, because if the test came back positive, no insurance company would ever cover you again) and instructed to call back after a certain amount of time. You call, give your number, and they give you the results -- all anonymously.

Bookmark   October 31, 2007 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
4000 chemicals in cigarette tobacco
there are 43 known carcinogens also. Here's the list!! Anyone...
pawprint1
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes for...
texasone
Does anyone else have a problem with Dental X-Rays?
I am wondering if it's just me or if anyone else has...
Judith
Anyone heard of Ageless Xtra?
Hi everyone, I usually post and lunk on the decorating...
customdecorator
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™