Glucose level low - not sure why....

carrie630September 10, 2011

Has anyone ever had a glucose level of 54? I haven't seen the doctor yet (that's Tuesday), but the nurse gave me the results on the phone and I realize this may mean "hypoglycemia"... yet, I don't seem to have any symptoms or at least I don't think I do....

I, of course, make myself crazy by going on the computer and they say that if you have some kind of tumor in your body, your glucose levels would be low. 54 is quite low. My usual reading is 70. I always fast for my tests so it can't be that reason...and I didn't feel shaky that morning either.

Has anyone had low glucose levels, at least as low as mine?

Thanks - Carrie (The rest of the panel was normal)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michelle_phxaz

It sounds like hypoglycemia. I have it too, I just make sure to always have a snack every few hours, and orange juice is a good way to raise your glucose level. It isn't something that is a pain to treat, but pay attention to the signs: sluggishness, mind being fuzzy, feeling like you are going to pass out. The OJ will help you, and I get fruit sticks from Trader Joe's that are good to bring your levels back up.

Definitely go see a doctor, he will help you with a balanced diet to alleviate the episodes.

Good luck!

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 5:31AM
carrie630

Okay, this is strange.

I called the doctor to see if I could have a re-test. Why? Because I wasn't dizzy, shaky after I fasted so I am thinking maybe something went awry with the test.

She said it did! She said sometimes the blood "sits" and that's is why I may have had a bad reading.

But that's strange. I've had bloodwork done every six months for the last 13 years and that has never happened... So I am wondering how reliable that information is.

Anyway, I am watching myself and keeping in mind that I may indeed have hypoglycemia - especially if I feel faint, shaky, etc.

Carrie

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 2:38PM
michelle_phxaz

Faint and shaky are classic signs of hypoglycemia. Grab an orange juice, it will pick you up within minutes. I get headaches afterwards though, so be prepared for that if it happens to you.

Good luck!

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 8:08PM
carrie630

My doctor has assured me today that it was a mistake at the lab, but this advice I will always keep in mind - just in case she was wrong. She said that the bloodwork at the lab has given bad readings before.

Weird, but true...

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
itchy skin eczema?
I have been itching and scratching since the end of...
alanis
air purifier, blueair 650E/IQ healthpro plus/whirlpool AP51030K
I am considering buying one or two more air purifiers...
janesylvia
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes for...
texasone
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
Anyone have a hiatal hernia, need advice?
I have constant pain in my diaphram and I read on a...
love2sew
Sponsored Products
Justice Design Group CLD-8818 - Pendants 3 Light Mini Cluster Pendant - Square F
$398.00 | Hayneedle
Z-Lite Cardinal 1-light Olde Bronze Flush Mount
Overstock.com
French Nouveau Chandelier by Currey & Company
$890.00 | Lumens
Tubo Slim Satin Nickel LED 24-Inch Flat Trim Bath Fixture Strip
$240.00 | Bellacor
Window Curtains Lined from DiaNoche Designs by Angelina Vick - City II New York
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Home Decorators Area Rug: Ansley Brown 7' 9" Square
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™