Teeth Grinding--Dentist trying to pull a fast one?

choufleurSeptember 25, 2006

I suffer from bruxism and need a lot of dental work as a result of this. However, my dentist continues doing work on my teeth only to have crowns damaged because of the teeth grinding. I suggested she make or recommend a dental guard for me but she insists that she wants to study the "grind pattern". I wonder if she's just trying to rack up an even greater bill my redoing work instead of trying to halt the source of the problem. What's your opinion?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

I think I would check out someone else. Even a poor fitting night guard would help cut down on damage.

Bookmark   September 25, 2006 at 9:03PM
catherinet

I agree with agnespuffin.

Bookmark   September 25, 2006 at 9:53PM
carla35

You know, I'm not so sure. I never grounded my teeth until after a got a poorly fitted crown put on. It was like the crown set the grinding in motion. Maybe your dentist is trying to get the crown to fit correctly or trying to figure if some teeth should be shaved so that you won't grind as much?

I'd come right out and ask what exactly she is looking for and how long it will take. It's better to solve the problem than to just mask it.

Bookmark   September 26, 2006 at 12:16AM
catherinet

It's my understanding that if a dentist is good, he can tell right off the bat, if you grind your teeth. I think some people (dentists), might feel uncomfortable with their knowledge about something, and say things like your dentist said. It just doesn't sound right.
Another option for you is to get a less-expensive sport's mouthguard and give that a try.

Bookmark   September 26, 2006 at 1:53PM
bezsindy_gmail_com

dentist grined down my brand new crown,so that the gold were exposed,his response was ,it was to high so I grined it down. Don't worry about it

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Painful Spots of Roof of Mouth
Has anyone had these? Every once in a while, I get...
houseful
4000 chemicals in cigarette tobacco
there are 43 known carcinogens also. Here's the list!! Anyone...
pawprint1
splotchy skin in the calf areas
The red spots are mostly pin size and are up to 1/8"....
naturelle
Weird Situation
Note: This question is asked on behalf of friend One...
Jikoimary
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™