Install Help

chuck1973August 5, 2011

Ordered 5/8 solid strand bamboo that I will be nailing down. I have sturdy 3/4 subfloor and I will be adding 3/8 plywood to raise floor to adjacent tile. Not planning to glue and screw 3/8 to existing sub (just screw) based on advice elsewhere. Is this right? Also, do I need a foam underlayment and vapor barrier (or a combo foam) or just felt paper? No moisture issues in rooms where install is.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marc12345

Check the manufacturer's instructions and recommendations on how to install. They usually specify approved methods and tools for installing. They might also specify the underlayment such as 15# roofing paper. I've heard that strand bamboo is pretty tough and people needing either ultra-strong nailers or needing to pre-drill first. I think a lot of people glue them down for this reason. Your manufacturer might have some approved hints.

If the space below is a crawlspace, make sure there's no moisture issues down there either as moisture can come from below.

For the subfloor, definitely use screws. I would think gluing first is better unless you can think of a reason why you would want to remove the 3/8 layer later on.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Brazilian Cherry with infloor heat, rug or no rug
We just got our in floor heat installed in the sunroom. Hoping...
sewwhatsnew
Any experience with BellaCera hardwood flooring and/or hickory wood?
We fell in love with a hickory hardwood in their line,...
happyallison
Chinese Hardwood Flooring - After Lumber Liquidators & 60 Minutes
Wondering how folks are now feeling about buying imported...
Ken Fisher
Experiences with vinyl flooring
Hello, I was wondering individuals experiences with...
einajr
peg and groove hardwood floors
I have a 1931 home with a hardwood floor in the main...
zagyzebra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™