fractured my wrist

downsouthSeptember 1, 2005

yesterday i fell out of a chair while hanging draperies and the ER doctor said my wrist is fractured in two places and will need surgery. i have an appt. with an orthopedic dr. in the a.m.

how long does it take a fracture to heal after surgery? am i looking at months of not being able to use this hand? is it more painful after the surgery? will i have steel pins? is this done as outpatient surgery? i guess u can tell i've never had a fracture and this is very scary to me.

pecking this out one hand. thank goodness it wasn't my left hand as i'm lefthanded..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Logfrog

You will probably be surprised at what you will be able to do. You will most likely have a cast that will allow you to use your fingers and hand while keeping your wrist steady. It will probably be done as out patient. Whether or not you will need any pinning depends on where the break (or breaks) is. It may be painful for a couple of days as there is probably will be some swelling.

Bookmark   September 1, 2005 at 7:11PM
Logfrog

I forgot to tell you not to worry. This is a common break with kids. They fall off bicycles, skates, horses, you name it, they will fall off it. It doesn't even slow them down. My son had TWO of his six children with broken wrists at the same time. It didn't even change the activity level in the house.

Bookmark   September 1, 2005 at 7:16PM
lazy_gardens

Ask your doctor!

Without seeing the x-ray and your medical records, nobody can tell what will happen.

Bookmark   September 2, 2005 at 8:48AM
downsouth

my appt. was changed to next tues., to allow swelling to go down.

i will ask my dr, but i was just seeking general info from anyone who has had a fracture.

thanks, logfrog. you sure have made me feel better.

Bookmark   September 2, 2005 at 3:11PM
downsouth

My dr. set my wrist and even with a novacaine injection, it was very painful. The cast comes off in two weeks and so far, no surgery.

My fingers are still very swollen, esp. around the joint area, so I can't bend my fingers. Doctor said if I didn't start moving them, I am going to have a claw hand. I try to bend them, but they aren't bending very far due to stiffness. I also try to bend them back a little, but I'm worried I'll so something and hurt my injured wrist.

The cast goes right up to my knuckles. I wasn't told any kind of exercises to do except to get these fingers moving.This has been an ordeal I don't want to go through again. Any advice on helping my fingers loosen up? I am going to try he heating pad tomorrow.

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 2:18AM
lazy_gardens

Just keep wiggling them as far as they can go without extreme pain.

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 7:56AM
Logfrog

YOur doctor said to move them. So move them as much as possible as often as possible. Your wrist will let you know when you do too much. Has he checked you since you had the cast put on? If your hand is still swollen, he may want to loosen the cast up a little.

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 10:47AM
downsouth

I have seen him every 2 wks since this happened on 8/31. Each time they do an x-ray to make sure bone is staying straight.

Iam bending my fingers down as far as they will go and back as far as I can stand the pain. He saw how swollen my fingers are, but he said I need to get the fluid moving, so I am doing that often. I have been typind with one hand, but later i am going to try both hands. that would be good exercise.

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
Painful Spots of Roof of Mouth
Has anyone had these? Every once in a while, I get...
houseful
Taking yourself off Paxil without side effects...???
One of my dear friends, J, had been taking Paxil for...
sooz
Vitamin D makes my hip ache.....
Has anyone had this to happen? When I try to research...
lovemrmewey
drug addiction
I'm really worried about my son. I think he is addicted...
clairdo2
Anyone have a hiatal hernia, need advice?
I have constant pain in my diaphram and I read on a...
love2sew
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™