Slate floor questions

kosinskiAugust 4, 2012

We are in the middle of a kitchen renovation that includes the installation of a slate floor.

We selected a grey Brazilian slate (ember ash from American slate) and the installer is probably 75% complete with the tile. He will soon be sealing the tile prior to grouting.

We were initially planning to use a impregnating sealer (aqua mix Sealers choice gold) but are now rethinking everything....including whether slate was a good selection.

While cleaning the tile we saw a 4" scratch. Testing scrap pieces, this slate scratches very easily. So easy that we are alarmed and approaching panicked. We vacuumed some debris off the tile and the vacuum cleaner scratched the tile!

Is there a sealer that will help manage the inevitable scratches? Would an enhancing sealer be best?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

I have a 40 year old slate entry way in my home. Yes, it shows the years. You either embrace the patina of slate, or you rip it all out now and pick something like porcelain if you want it to always look new.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 9:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
StoneTech

Trust this~Slate WILL scratch. If you want the "distressed" look, you got it.....

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 6:11PM
More Discussions
Difference visually between 1/8 and 3/16 grout joints?
We're thinking 1/8 but the installer is suggesting...
joep_2009
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
Tigerwood Flooring - if you have it would you do it again
We are considering putting in Tigerwood flooring. We...
snowcamp
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™