Tiling over outdoor pebble epoxy/resin coat

ladoladiAugust 25, 2012

Hi,

We are looking to install slate tiles on our outdoor patio. Currently, it has a layer of very small pebbles mixed with an epoxy resin. The pebbles frequently come loose and there are 2 or 3 visible cracks through the resin suggesting there may be some cracks in the concrete slab beneath.

One tile setter said he would put sealer/filler over the cracks, but set the tile right over the pebbles. The second tile setter suggested removing the pebbles and epoxy because the small gaps in the pebbles could lead to moisture build-up and sealing the cracks in the slab. We live in Florida and have a pool on the other side of the patio.

My gut tells me the first guy is just trying not to do the work of removing the pebbles and epoxy and that it would be a much better and cleaner install without the pebble and epoxy underneath. Am I overthinking or wrong?

Thank you. Your input is much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Now that is an interesting question...something we don't see here often...unique, to say the least.

How much is it going to cost to remove the pebble layer? Perhaps that is the way to go, but how well-bonded is the pebble layer?

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 9:33PM
ladoladi

In all likelihood, we would be doing the pebble-coat removal, so it wouldn't really be a matter of cost but time and sweat. I'm not sure how well bonded the pebble-coat is. We're considering trying to remove it at least in one spot, but I wanted reassurances that I wasn't totally crazy for thinking it would be a better tile job without the pebble-coat underneath.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 11:50PM
GreenDesigns

Slate can be quite slippery in the presence of moisture. And it gathers moss quite readily in shade. It's not a product I would want to install around a pool. I would investigate a porcelain look alike that has a high COF for better traffic safety in wet conditions.

And yes, anything installed over a failing epoxy coating has a super high chance of failing as well. The epoxy should be removed and the condition of the underlying slab assessed for slope and structural integrity. If it's cracked, and settled, and possibly directing rainwater runoff incorrectly, then it too should be removed and a new base poured. Then decorative stamping might make more sense.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 9:14AM
More Discussions
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
LVP Underlayment
Hello all. Like everyone here I am in the middle of...
ryancoc22
We might replace our wood floor with new....
I have 20yr old hardwood floor in our foyer. It is...
cindywhitall
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™