American Walnut Flooring--would you do it again?

kailasaAugust 14, 2011

Hi, my husband and I are looking to put wood floors in our one-story house. My husband is crazy about the look of American walnut. I am concerned that it isn't durable. We don't wear shoes indoors, but we would like to have kids and a small dog. Also, we have to use engineered, as we have a concrete slab, so we wouldn't be able to refinish more than 2 times.

For those of you who have walnut floors, what are your thoughts on durability? Would you do it again?

Thank you so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

We put solid walnut in our dining room a few years ago and it's plenty durable. We don't have kids or dogs, just a cat and furniture. But we've been happy with it, and just put it into our family room.

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 8:15PM
beaniebakes

I had engineered walnut installed only a few weeks ago so it's premature to comment on durability, though an aluminum oxide finish is supposed to be more durable than poly. It was installed in a room that doesn't get much traffic, but it will also be installed in an entrance room in a few weeks. Time will tell how it holds up. It was a difficult decision to make since so much flooring today seems to be "exotic" woods, handscraped, etc. I preferred something more traditional. The flooring looks beautiful and I'm pleased with my decision.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 12:59PM
woodfloorpro

A quality engineered product will have a wear layer that can be sanded at least 4 times by a professional. Brand examples; Owens and Real Wood Floors plus others. Look for a cut, not rotary veneer and a thickness of over 1/4 for the veneer.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
Bamboo flooring from LL bad odor
I purchased morning star bamboo strand click flooring...
rg100
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
Need advice. Subway tile on uneven kneewall
So I was kinda pissed off when I walked into my bathroom...
Michael Coates
carpet comparison
We are looking at 2 carpets right now. Both are Anso...
sutrotower96
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™