Need to get my mother in my truck

heidihoSeptember 8, 2009

There's a family reunion coming up and I want to take my 85 year old mother. She weighs 265lbs. and I don't know how I'm going to get her into my Ford Escape. She can't pick her legs up more than about 12". I have no running boards and don't know anyone with a small car. The guys in the family tried to pick her up one day to lift her but she said it hurt and she was upset so they quit. I've tried several foot stools and small step ladders but she's afraid to fall. Is there some kind of medical equipment I can rent to help us? Thanks for your time and have a nice day.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

I think if you got a walker you could put it around the stairs and she would be comfortable climbing up the step stool. Especially if you have a big guy on each side. She might have trouble with her balance and that's why she is not comfortable not having something to hold on to.

Maybe there is some kind of lift too. Call a pharmacy who sells surgical appliances.

You might get some info from nursing homes or hospitals or anyone who deals with the elderly, too if you call and tell them your story.

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 3:17PM
pris

Surely this is not the first time this problem has come up. What do you do when she needs to go to the doctor, dentist, etc? Can she get into a car without trouble? If so, use a car. Someone in the family must have a vehicle she can get in and out of without difficulty. Or, if that's not an option, look into getting a hydraulic lift for your truck. If there is a hospital in your town, there is probably a medical supply rental place who can help you with what is available.

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 11:09AM
ruthann

I have a good idea. My sister in law is in the same boat. I used a ramp. It's easy to carry one in the truck and all she had to do was walk up the ramp. A lot easier than a stool. I have a plastic one and it's not to heavy.

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 11:55PM
heidiho

Great ideas ladies! Thanks so very much for your help.
I really appreciate your suggestions. I have till Oct. 12th. so that'll give me time to try these and see which one works the best for our needs.
Thanks again.

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 10:40PM
darlene87

I have friends in that same boat. See if there is a medical rental place there, they can help you a lot with a decision. Sometimes we don't look at the whole picture, and miss the biggest need of all. Best of luck to you.
Darlene

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 5:14AM
More Discussions
HEARING AIDS SUGGESTIONS/EXPERIENCES
Need at least one hearing aid. Dr recommends type...
Robert Givens
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
Suggest a remedy for chapped hand and breaking of nails
I am a working lady and my work is mostly on computer....
kalifa
Vitamin D makes my hip ache.....
Has anyone had this to happen? When I try to research...
lovemrmewey
"Medicare Demystified"
A few minutes ago I saw a post from about six weeks...
Lindsey_CA
Sponsored Products
36" Cadmon Vanity for Undermount Sink
Signature Hardware
Ergohuman Executive Mid Back Combo Chair
$620.50 | LexMod
Cordless Holly and Berry Door Swag
Grandin Road
Orthopedic 8-inch 3-layer Full-size Latex Mattress
Overstock.com
SoHo Bed by Copeland Furniture
$2,803.00 | Lumens