botched hardwood refinish

ctlandlordAugust 2, 2011

Hi , I had a contractor redo my hardwood floors--one room came out looking very dull , products used were mahogany stain or dark cherry then two coats of poly , this room looks like extra wax is on it . contractor skipped. I thought I could use a fine grit and redo another coat of poly. but would like thoughts on this. I have redone floors in past . I found anti freeze cans in a closet and oneof the poly containers was new quick dry the other ( my specified preference ) was old school poly ? help thoughts? will redo whole floor but really really dont want to right now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Old_Wood_Floors

If you are just changing the gloss level light abrading and another top coat should work as long as the floor does not have wax or other contaminants on it. The existing finish sould be fully cured. It is important to get the floor clean after abrading before the new finish is applied. Some commercially available tack rags leave a residue so should be avoided. The link below has more discussion on restoring 'old' floors and a link to National Wood Flooring Association
Hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoring Floors

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
Black Walnut Grades
Hi all! Could someone tell me if these two pictures...
luciole
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™