Bextra & numbness in feet or neuropathy

monicatxSeptember 28, 2004

Hi: I am posting this because I have been through many months of health problems do to taking Bextra. First, let me say that it is a wonderful medication for anyone who can take it. All my joint pain went away on the medication.

Now, let me expain my problems. After several months on Bextra, I developed a loss of feeling in my toes. It got worse daily, slowly spreading thru my feet. I was sent to a neurologist who thought my diabetes might be the cause. During this time, I asked my primary care physician and the neurologist if any of my medications (and named Bextra) could be the cause. I was told "no".

Eventually, the loss of feeling turned into pain. After about 3pm, I could no long walk without severe pain in my feet and lower leg. One night as I went to bed, the thought occurred to me to do a computer search for Bextra & numbness. I found one posting - it was two years old and the man said he had numbness in his feet with Bextra. Next morning, I stopped taking the Bextra. Within two days, I could again walk after 3pm. It has been a month, and the numbness (or neuropathy) has been getting better daily, but I suspect I will always have some loss of feeling in my toes.

Another thing: My primary doctor could not find any reason for me being "tired" all the time and put it down to old age. (I'm 66). After stopping the Bextra, I can again take walks without getting out of breath. Yesterday I helped a neighbor carry a small recliner to another house. My strength and energy have returned.

Nothing in the literature for Bextra mentions these problems. Bextra is a great medication if your not someone who has a very unusual reaction to it. I'm hoping this posting will help someone else out there in email land have a happy ending. Monica

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theroselvr

Wow, thank you for the post. I just started Bextra about a month ago when my Vioxx script was denied. I now see they took it off the market. So far so good, I've always had the feet numbness problem, but don't notice it got worse. I will say that by 8:30 pm, I am totally wiped out, never thought it may be due to Bextra. I am having numbness in my left thigh, which was never there before Bextra. Will mention it to my Dr's.

Bookmark   October 12, 2004 at 7:35AM
More Discussions
Taking yourself off Paxil without side effects...???
One of my dear friends, J, had been taking Paxil for...
sooz
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes for...
texasone
I have RLS (Restless Leg syndrome) .... anyone else taking this drug ?
Anyone suffering with Restless Leg syndrome? I have...
vieja_gw
Does anyone else have a problem with Dental X-Rays?
I am wondering if it's just me or if anyone else has...
Judith
Blood pressure cuffs in the hospital
I was in the ER a couple of times for pain in my knee,...
emma
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™