Convection/Microwave Ovens

Pinky-71January 20, 2014

Do these work well, are they worth giving up interior space, are they energy efficient?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cparlf

We have an OTR microwave / convection. I had never heard of them before buying this thing, and now, after only a month of using it I would never buy a regular microwave again. This is amazing, baking jalapeno poppers and back-fin crab cakes in the convection micro, in a metal pan........fast, easy yes. Efficient? I don't know. Has to be more efficient than running the regular oven, I would think.

Love it love it love it. GE Cafe model, just terrific.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 12:08PM
nancyocean

I love mine too, it's like having another oven in the house and that has been so helpful. I think the GE Café model is beautiful too, unlike a lot of microwaves.

Bookmark   August 31, 2014 at 4:12PM
lee676

I have a GE Advantium oven which is a step or two above even a convection/microwave - it's a restaurant-style cooker that can cook food with "real oven" taste and crispy texture almost as fast as a microwave oven. It can also be used as a regular microwave, regular oven, warming drawer, even a big toaster. You'll need a 240 volt/30 amp circuit to run it though (there is a 120V/15A version but it's much slower and not as good, though even it is still a worthwhile alternative to a convection/microwave).

Although they make these in an over-the-cooktop model that integrates the exhaust fan (and I've used one), I opted for the wall-oven version for its extra depth for my new home. My issue with all over-the-cooktop microwave ovens is that they can't be much more than 12" deep in order to fit between wall cabinets - too shallow to fit common items like a pizza box. Built-in microwave ovens fit into 24" deep cabinets and have much more depth inside.

Bookmark   January 5, 2015 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
48 inch WOLF DF Range, Steamer, Wall oven
Hello, I need some advice since these are a huge investment...
hkwan
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Crack in Quartz countertop
I purchased my Quartz countertop 7 months ago and I...
avsheth2002
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™