Metformin (Glucopage) - anyone taking this med?

downsouthSeptember 13, 2004

I went to my doctor because my dentist said my blood pressure was high (150/90). My doctor wants me to shed some weight before he starts me on BP medication. He has me on Hydrochlorothiazide and Metformin (glucopage), and a very strict diet. He said he was prescribing a diuretic so this is the hydrochlorothiazide (which my sister said is a water pill).

When the pharmacist handed me the Metformin, I noticed it was for diabetes, which I don't have. I called the doctor's office immediately and his nurse said "if he prescribed it for you, then he wants you to take it"(not sure I agree with that philosophy). My sister tells me not to take it, but I read that Metformin can be prescribed for other things. My doctor is on vacation weeks so I can't ask him for three weeks.

Has anyone taken Metformin (glucopage) for another reason other than diabetes?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cuddlebones

My best guess is that you had some blood work done.....namely a glycoslated hemoglobin.....which if the result is high, it indicates that diabeties MAY be coming shortly. With this medication and a scrict diet, you may be able to hold it off. Now this is just my best guestimate. I'm not a doctor, but I do work with one in a clinic. Good Luck!!

Bookmark   September 15, 2004 at 11:42PM
pamven

i was put on metformin recently too...im not diabetic YET but my if my numbers get much higher i could flip over to a full blown diabetic. BTW i lost approx 15 lbs within weeks of taking the meds and my hunger highs and lows have diminished greatly.

Bookmark   September 16, 2004 at 11:17AM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

My daughter took it for years then was told that she was misdiagnosed. She was told that it is used to keep you from getting diabetes. Some people follow all the health rules, yet are not able to shed weight like they want. The initial doctors told her that she had Policystic Ovarian Syndrome. Just because she did not have ovarian cysts doesn't mean that she doesn't have the condition. Because of the blood tests the doctor can tell if you will develop diabetes in years to come. If you fit the profile, then it is good for you to take the Metformin to help get your weight down. For these people not only do they risk additional health problems with the added weight, but also they will develop diabetes.

My daughter took it for about 3 years, then another doctor took her off of it. She is in the military so gets many opinions although some doctors are not as good as others. Her latest doctor said that they know more about Metformin and Policystic Ovarian Syndrome and that she does not have that condition. He told her she just needs to exercise more. My daughter and I are 5'3" and have trouble keeping our weight down. Whenever we eat it seems like we cannot eat what others eat - especially men. My daughter is in the Navy, and must stop eating before the men do, and also must always exercise.

THis is too long. I have other information if you want it. I don't think the med is bad, and if you have the condition, it is a miracle drug.
Sammy

Bookmark   September 18, 2004 at 12:00PM
kathyg_in_mi

Just found out that I am diabetic, but with taking the Glucophage I might never need to give myself shots. The doc said that the glucophage would help me lose a little bit of weight too.
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   October 5, 2004 at 3:48PM
downsouth

I never had any blood work done, but he does want me to have blood work done after I have been on this med for 2 or 3 months. I found out the reason he gave it to me was to help me lose weight.

Bookmark   October 10, 2004 at 6:26PM
More Discussions
4000 chemicals in cigarette tobacco
there are 43 known carcinogens also. Here's the list!! Anyone...
pawprint1
a night guard for teeth grinding, worth the money?
Many times with many different dentists it has been...
bug_girl
splotchy skin in the calf areas
The red spots are mostly pin size and are up to 1/8"....
naturelle
Allergies
I have allergies all year around and nothing I take...
berk
itchy skin eczema?
I have been itching and scratching since the end of...
alanis
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™