hot water radiator troubleshooting

soapstoneshelJanuary 25, 2014

Hi,

My house was build in 1932 and has hot water radiator heat. I have bled the radiators that I can (on a couple of them, the fitting you open to bleed the radiators has been removed). A couple of questions:

Why would the fitting to bleed the radiators be removed?

Also having a problem with the two basement radiators. Basement is divided into two rooms. In the family room there are two radiators. I believe the system is called a one pipe system, that is one pipe goes across the top of the walls, and pipes come down to the radiators. When we first turned on heat, radiators in basement were warm and did not need bled. A few days ago the basement radiators stopped working. The pipe going across the top of the walls is still hot, and the top of the pipes coming down to the radiators is still hot. But the radiators are cold. We have had a couple of weeks of very cold weather here (western PA). Oh, and there is no air in the radiators, they are full of water. I've attached a photo in case that helps (our first winter in the house). The radiators have not been turned off and there has been no change in water pressure, as far as I know.

Any ideas? Many thanks.

Michele

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jackfre

There is a bypass pipe from the supply to the return on this basement radiator. Apparently the water is whistling by the supply. Are there "Mono-flow" fittings on the supply and return to this register? A monoflow tee fitting has a sorts scoop that catches the water and forces it down to your radiator. You need one on both the supply and return. They have to be oriented correctly on both the supply and return. Water, like electricity, will take the path of least resistance.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 1:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
soapstoneshel

Thanks for your response Jackfre. Do you think it's possible that I'm missing the monoflow fittings even though the radiators were working properly up till about a week ago? Thanks again.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
Why is split ductless so expensive when installed?
Hi, Long time reader, first post. I have a question,...
JHZR2
2 HVAC quotes: need to decide
I'm ignorant of HVAC, but willing to do the research...
davidarcher2
Advice on Attic insulation
So we just finished the second year in our house and...
w_fournier
New HVAC install in So Cal
Hi Everyone, I just got a quote from Home Depot contractor....
revlimit
Moving floor vent to toekick area
Hello. We are renovating our kitchen as well as baths...
cathy725
Sponsored Products
Cumberland Table
$499.99 | Dot & Bo
Illumine Wall Mounted Satin 4-Light Outdoor Black Wall Lantern with Clear Water
Home Depot
La Jolla 9 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso Orange
$1,799.00 | LexMod
Tapered Leg 1-drawer Nightstand with Half Moon Pull
Overstock.com
South Bay Chair
Grandin Road
Deck Mount Water Supply Lines for Copper Pipe with Porcelain Lever Handle Valves
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™