Ringworm of the eyes

faithwrkzSeptember 12, 2006

I contracted what I am sure is ringworm of the eyes, 5 years ago from a street cat. I am finding it near impossible to get a doctor to diagnose and treat it - anitbiotics drops are of minimal assistance ( and yes my boyfriend got it off me at one point and had it tracking across his forehead). It is in my sinuses, and i have developed them on the backs of my hands from rubbing my eyes and sneezing. I get very stuffy through the night, and wake up cause I can't breathe. Fungal creams work on the lesions on my skin when it tracks to my under-eyelid area, but what can be used in eyes?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Meghane

I would suspect you're having a hard time getting diagnosed with ringworm of the eyes because it doesn't exist. Unless you're really speaking of eyelids. Ringworm grows only on keratinized skin, which isn't in the eye. It also can't grow on sinus tissue which has mucus to protect it. If you have a fungal infection, it isn't ringworm; ringworm doesn't invade deep body cavities. There is no product that I'm aware of that can be safely used in the eye, at least no OTC products. A systemic antifungal would also be available only by perscription.
I would go to an ophthomologist about the eye problem and insist upon corneal scrapings and cytology/culture to find out what is really bugging you. Alternatively an ENT may help with the night-time stuffiness. You may have 2 unrelated problems going on.
Good luck. Sounds miserable and to be putting up with that for 5 years...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ringworm info

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 6:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

You might have more than one thing wrong. The eyes could be the what grandmothers used to call Pink Eye. Then you could have an allergy to something that is bothering both your eyes and your sinuses. sometimes allergies are hard to figure out. Antibiotics wouldn't help if it is an allergy

After you see an ophtomologist, check with an allergist.

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
Weird Situation
Note: This question is asked on behalf of friend One...
Jikoimary
a night guard for teeth grinding, worth the money?
Many times with many different dentists it has been...
bug_girl
band aids
My dermatologist introduced me to Coverlet bandages....
shuffles_gw
Chronic Chapped Lips
I have NEVER had lips that weren't chapped ever since...
ms_minnamouse
Does anyone else have a problem with Dental X-Rays?
I am wondering if it's just me or if anyone else has...
Judith
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™