question regarding injections for very bad knees.

kat123September 17, 2012

I have horrible knees. My problem is arthritis under my patellas. Cortisone injections no longer help. There's another option: an injection of a substance that's normally found in our joints & is a lubricant. It is made up of that natural substance plus something made from rooster combs. My internist is extremely knowledgeable & careful with her patients. She said that it has been around since the 70's and worth a try. It is a series of 3 injections one week apart.

Can any of you tell me anything about this or if you've had this done & what was the outcome? I am desperate. My knee doc said that I'm a very long way from needing knee replacement.

Thanks for any help available.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deb_pa

The name of the rooster comb injections are Hyalgan. I had them for about 8 years, twice a year - once a week for three weeks in each knee. They worked for me but by now my knees really need replaced. One doctor wanted to use a new drug called Synvisc and I thought, "well maybe he knows better than me", even though the Hyalgan had worked for me. The Synvisc did not work at all and I had to wait 6 months for the next set because insurance would only pay for 2 sets a year. A good doctor will tell you, "sometimes they work, sometimes they don't".

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 5:49PM
mboston_gw

I know someone who had it done and she seemed to get some relief for a short peiriod of time but has had surgery since because she had other problems. Like you, she had cortisone shots for some time. I was told when I had frozen shoulders that cortisone helps at the time you get it but in the long run it actually does more damage.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:18PM
kat123

Thank you both for your help. I'm going for a second opinion from another highly regarded ortho doc. I just don't know what to do. This doc does not use Euflexa. He gives one injection of Syncisc 1. I'll let you know and any more advice is greatly appreciated!

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 3:24AM
iggie

I had the same problem and tried all the different injections, some help for awhile, but after they wore off the pain was usually worse than before. I finally had both knees replaced in 01 and have never been sorry. I was in the hospital 14 days and had extensive therapy afterward, I was on a walker for about 2 weeks and after that used a cane for a period maybe a month. Discarded the cane and have not had any problems since> I was 75 when I had the surgery. Good luck in whatever you decide . Iggie

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
4000 chemicals in cigarette tobacco
there are 43 known carcinogens also. Here's the list!! Anyone...
pawprint1
Weird Situation
Note: This question is asked on behalf of friend One...
Jikoimary
Post Pregnancy Joint Pain & Muscle Stiffness
Wondering if others have experienced joint pain and...
Audlee
Anyone have a hiatal hernia, need advice?
I have constant pain in my diaphram and I read on a...
love2sew
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes for...
texasone
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™