Location of whole house humidifier

jamespatrick04January 31, 2008

We have an old (1930s) center hall Colonial house with central A/C but radiator heat. For keeping moisture levels in a comfortable range in the winter, we are planning to go from room humidifiers to a whole house humidifier (probably Aprilaire 350/360). My question is what floor, the first or second, would it be best to install the humidifier? I have an ideal first floor location in the wall between the kitchen and living room (easier install and closre to water source), however, it seems that will result in the moist (and cool and heavier) air staying in the first floor. Installing in the kitchen and ducting up to the second floor (by cutting through the base plate between the studs in the 2nd floor wall and putting a supply vent in the wall of the second floor) but that's more involved though doable if necesary.

Any advice/input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_martyn

A Whole house humidifier would typically be installed in the return air plenum. The bypass type has a duct running from the supply plenum to the humidifier. In your situation if you can mount a humidifer on the return at the furnace, the Aprilaire 400 model would be a better choice at 0.7 GPH.

Dan Martyn

Here is a link that might be useful: AprilAire Model 400

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
Baseboard heater thermostats
We are looking to install (2) 120v baseboard heaters...
stephja007
furnace condensation freezing up
A non-profit club that I belong to has a furnace that...
doglover3
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™