Green Smoothies

jockewingAugust 29, 2009

I have been making smoothies for a while now, but I was getting concerned about the amount of sugar in them (although it comes naturally from the fruit). I use a handful of frozen unsweetened strawberries, a handful of frozen unsweetened mixed berries and cherries, a banana, a couple spoonfuls of plain unsweetened organic yogurt, and have just switched from regular OJ to fresh squeezed (about 1/3 of a cup). These turn out delicious and are extremely filling. I drink one of these several nights a week instead of eating dinner. There is no sugar, honey or other sweetener added as the natural sweetness of the berries is plenty.

Recently I heard about green smoothies, and thought it might be an ideal way to increase my green vegetable intake. Today I made my regular recipe as listed above, and added 3 large kale leaves, several large handfuls of spinach leaves, and about 5 stalks of parsley. It did turn the smoothie slightly green, but it was still delicious. There was a very slight "green" taste, but it was not at all unpleasant as the berry flavor seems to dominate.

Does this sound like a good recipe from a weight loss standpoint? I am worried about the natural sugar from the berries. But then I think, how could all this natural fruit and vegetables ever be bad?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet

Hi jockewing,
It sounds like a really healthy drink! Once a day doesn't seem like too much fructose. Just be sure to eat more veggies during the day and a little protein too.
Adding spinach to a fruity smoothie is a great way of sneaking it in!
If you have trouble like I do.......of having my appetite triggered by sugars of any kind, then the drink you're making might increase your appetite a bit. But if not.......I say go for it!

Bookmark   August 29, 2009 at 8:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seneca_s

I don't see any prob from the berries as they are high fiber and pretty low in sugar as fruits go. Cherries too. Also you are pureeing them rather than juicing them so the whole fruit is in there. If anything, the oj is a sugar culprit but 1/3 cup is not terrible.

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 12:41AM
More Discussions
I have RLS (Restless Leg syndrome) .... anyone else taking this drug ?
Anyone suffering with Restless Leg syndrome? I have...
vieja_gw
HEARING AIDS SUGGESTIONS/EXPERIENCES
Need at least one hearing aid. Dr recommends type...
Robert Givens
Post Pregnancy Joint Pain & Muscle Stiffness
Wondering if others have experienced joint pain and...
Audlee
L-dopa Rx replacement for RLS anyone?
Anyone have RLS (restless leg syndrome)? I have been...
vieja_gw
Right side chest pain only at night when sleeping
Hi Everyone, I've done some research, and have found...
SconsinKid
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™