Can a "raised foyer floor" be lowered?

wizard19August 28, 2012

We are selling our home and had home inspection yesterday. Inspection went well, however, buyer has following request: We have a raised foyer floor when you walk in from the front entrance door. The floor is raised 7 inches from the DR on the left and FLR on the right and the family room straight ahead. The buyers want to lower the foyer floor to be even with the rest of the adjacent rooms. We just had travertine stone installed on it about two years ago, so I know it is a concrete base.

Does anyone have any ideas on whether this concrete can be "jack hammered" down? The size is 9' x 12'. I am sure there are some code issues with the the front entrance but I think that can be designed appropriately. I'm am not too concerned with the costs as buyer is willing to pay for it...I just need to see if it is feasible to do. The option period ends tomorrow so we are trying to get this resolved tonight or early tomorrow.

Thanks for any opinions!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

Anything's possible with enough money. Worst case is that you'd have to take out the concrete and re-pour a slab with new footings to get the code-required depth. Then repair framing/drywall so that the walls around the foyer are finished down to the new floor level. And buy a custom-size door to fit the new 7" taller opening (or lower the whole frame, which would entail framing/drywall/exterior finishing work.)

Additional considerations:
-What does the front porch look like? If it's currently even with the inside floor, then the porch/entry would need to be lowered by the same 7". And it could have ripple effects on the exterior facade (i.e., there's a 7" gap in the brick/siding/stucco that has to be cut in.)
-Are there steps leading up to the front porch/door? Those would have to be re-done as well.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 7:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wizard19

Weedy - Thanks for the input! Buyers backed out of the contract last night. Husband wanted the house, but the wife kept putting up different issues and just didn't want to move. I thought the foyer issue was a red herring as it turned out to be. I will keep this thread out here just in case someone runs into the same unusual request. thx

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
Need help getting ink/marker off hard wood flooring
Anyone had a child mark on their hardwood floors with...
mattsarmymom
Black Walnut Grades
Hi all! Could someone tell me if these two pictures...
luciole
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™