Confused about cholesterol readings

xminionAugust 15, 2014

The nurse said not to worry because the overall ratio number (TC:HDL was 3.7 in the ideal range). Yet my Total cholesterol is 265.

I'm vegetarian, run 5K's, occasionally have a glass of wine or beer, and very picky about eating anything processed.

Have a good BMI index. Any armchair physicians? Where is the 265 coming from?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
d0ug

Naturopath doctor say healthy cholesterol count is 220 - 270.
There is no disease caused by cholesterol. Cholesterol over 270 is a red flag that you have free radical damage in your arteries. The whole cholesterol thing has been a scam from the start when in 1925 Crisco gave the American Heart Association 1.7 million dollars to say that Crisco was healthier than saturated fat,

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 7:18PM
emma

Mine is the same as yours and I don't care. I don't believe half of what they tell me about meds, but then Mom's was very high and it may have killed here. She took to her bed at 97 and died a week later.

I have had two doctors and a nurse say that the cholesterol meds will not do you any good in your late 60's or older. If you have blockage meds will not get rid of it and if you don't have blockage it take 30 or 40 years for blockage to build up. I won't take the meds regardless of my age. It destroys your muscles my neighbor is in a wheel chair because of the meds and my sis is on her way. The FDA or whoever is in charge of advising doctors are telling them not to prescribe the meds to anyone unless they are a high risk patient.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 8:38PM
carol_in_california

Generally a high cholesterol is related to heredity.
I have always had really good cholesterol readings without medication.
I have always eaten healthy foods and exercise five days a week.
I recently developed atrial fibrillation. One episode produced chest pain, shortness of breath and an abnormal EKG.
I had to have a nuclear stress test and it was abnormal.
So, on Tuesday I had a heart catherization and needed angioplasty due to one artery blockage of 90%.
The doc discovered I had congenitally small coronary arteries. I have a horrible family history of heart disease and feel fortunate to have made it to 74 before I had symptoms.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 9:12PM
maifleur01

If you are a woman your cholesterol will go up when you begin the change.

As a vegetarian, you did not state what kind, your triglyceride's are may be high because they are related to carbs, processed or natural.

Do not go on the various statins. I do not have the muscle problems but the mental fog that is another side effect.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 9:26PM
emma

I don't take them, but you just gave another good reason not to. At 77 I certainly don't need any more mental fog.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 10:36AM
raee_gw

There is one doctor in California (I think that he is at Scripps Research Clinic) who seems to be showing over the past 20 years that in his patients, strict - practically vegetarian diet, stress reduction, and exercise not only control the numbers but reduces the buildup already in the arteries. The stress reduction and exercise just as important as the eating habits.

The science is not firm on just what the numbers mean. There is certainly a correlation between high LDL cholesterol and high triglycerides and heart disease ( also a type of liver disease) and now that they know there are different types of cholesterol starting to get an idea what is good and what isn't. So they currently think that it is the ratio of HDL to LDL that is most important -- But it is not for sure yet (may never be!) just how much is too much or not enough for any one person.

Genetics plays a big role like someone pointed out above. Some people just make cholesterol excessively, even if they aren't eating a lot of saturated fat.

My trigylcerides have always tested low; not just normal, low -- except the one time it was tested the morning after a steak dinner (rare for me) -- that time they were above normal range!

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 10:57AM
d0ug

The lady with a-fib check with a chiropractor to see if you have a nerve in your back that is being molested. Much like hitting your funny bone the elbow does not hurt but your hand goes crazy. Cholesterol build up is caused by free radical damage in the artery and is not genetic.
Most people think they are eating good because they have been told by the people selling food.
There is no disease caused by cholesterol.
This has been a big scam made by the makers of Crisco who paid the American Heart Association 1.7 million dollars in 1925 to endorse Crisco as a being better than saturated fat. Before that time Crisco was a machine lubricant. This has been just exposed in the newspapers.
All these oils we have been using is the cause of free radical damage.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 5:34PM
emma

Doug you are so full of.....it.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 7:02PM
d0ug

EmmaR
A meta-analysis of properly performed previous studies on heart health and saturated fats concluded there was no association between cardiac issues and saturated fats. This was published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (AJCN) on January 13th, 2010. (1)

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/035033_cholesterol_disinformation_fats.html#ixzz3AtICriFp

The newspaper USA today in the May addition this year exposed the Proctor and Gamble [Crisco] connection to the American Heart Association
If I am full of it you must be talking about facts

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:23PM
xminion

Thanks for the cites, Doug. I believe big industry (Crisco) lobbies hard for their own interests to the detriment of the good of the general public.

Allegedly, an anti-campaign was waged for years against coconut oil by other oil producers.

Bookmark   September 5, 2014 at 12:58PM
Konrad___far_north

Yeah...now Coconut oil is good again and being pushed,..is it because of Dr. Oz said so?

Bookmark   September 6, 2014 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Post Pregnancy Joint Pain & Muscle Stiffness
Wondering if others have experienced joint pain and...
Audlee
Taking yourself off Paxil without side effects...???
One of my dear friends, J, had been taking Paxil for...
sooz
itchy skin eczema?
I have been itching and scratching since the end of...
alanis
splotchy skin in the calf areas
The red spots are mostly pin size and are up to 1/8"....
naturelle
Weird Situation
Note: This question is asked on behalf of friend One...
Jikoimary
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™