Swelling ankles and hand

Seamer1August 16, 2005

I have been bothered lately with a swollen ankle, and hand. They are on opposite sides, so I'm not sure what that is about. The ankle has been tender while walking, but i haven't hurt it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Glitter53

Scoot to a clinic and have your blood-pressure tested. Swelling, if it's not a usual occurance, 'can' be a sign of high blood pressure or even heart problems.
When I find my ankles swollen (particularly my left one) I get my BP meter out and lo and behold, it's waaaay up! (which usually reminds me that I forgot my meds the day before. oops!)

Check it out...better to be certain it's nothing serious.

Bookmark   August 16, 2005 at 8:11PM
Logfrog

It can also be a sign of impaired kidney function. Which can also send the BP waaayyy up.

Bookmark   August 16, 2005 at 8:15PM
Glitter53

Absolutely, Logfrog: had that checked out, too in case that was the culprit. This isn't something that should be left unchecked...it could be so many things.....

Bookmark   August 16, 2005 at 8:20PM
swanoir

I think it is reasonable, if the condition just started, to watch it and see if it will improve on its own. If it worsens or doesn't improve in two weeks, you may want to get it check out by a professional.

What is completely unreasonable, in my opinion, is to treat your kidneys like a toilet and "flush" them out with a bottle of trace minerals. Gee, why not grab some Drano while you are at it.

In Africa, they sell antibiotics by color, with red being particularly popular. Testimonials are just as useless. The whole point is to get to the actual reason WHY you are experiencing edema, not to merely throw supplements at it that worked for other people.

And if you are experiencing gout, which is not indicated simply by having a swollen hand and foot by the way, I would hope you are under a doctor's care.

Bookmark   January 15, 2007 at 11:48PM
More Discussions
air purifier, blueair 650E/IQ healthpro plus/whirlpool AP51030K
I am considering buying one or two more air purifiers...
janesylvia
L-dopa Rx replacement for RLS anyone?
Anyone have RLS (restless leg syndrome)? I have been...
vieja_gw
itchy skin eczema?
I have been itching and scratching since the end of...
alanis
Chronic Chapped Lips
I have NEVER had lips that weren't chapped ever since...
ms_minnamouse
Right side chest pain only at night when sleeping
Hi Everyone, I've done some research, and have found...
SconsinKid
Sponsored Products
Textured Vertical Panels Outdoor Wall Sconce by Hubbardton Forge
$452.00 | Lumens
Dale Tiffany Pink Floral Hanging Fixture - 17-watt in. Verdigris - TH10965
$169.99 | Hayneedle
Scudo Saraceno Classic Suspension
Lightology
'Mom' Travel Mug Set
$14.99 | zulily
Pierra Satin Nickel Six-Light Mini Pendant with Candy Glass
$904.00 | Bellacor