Diesel fuel for oil furnace?

hrajotteJanuary 5, 2012

My neighbor totalled his pickup truck, and is going to junk it. The truck has almost a full tank of diesel (about 28 gallons.) He asked me if I want the diesel (free!) for my #2 oil fired furnace. (He has gas heat.) He claims #2 oil and diesel are virtually the same, and I have always believed that, too. But I wanted to get other advice first!

Will diesel wreck my oil burner??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hrajotte

It's a 5 year-old Beckett oil burner with a 0.75 nozzle, if that matters.

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 10:44AM
neohioheatpump

what part of the country are you in? Does your oil burner create forced air heat? I bet its expensive heating with oil. If you have forced air, you should get an air sourced heatpump to handle the majority of your heating needs. The upfront cost will quickly be paid for by the oil savings.

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 11:31AM
saltidawg

Maybe the OP does have a heat pump... oil for backup. (That's the setup I have with no gas available and electric rate out of sight.)

Have to wonder if anyone knows the answer to his actual question.

This retired Navy Submariner loves the memories associated with diesel fumes and would not miss the opportunity to be present when the oil furnace is serviced. My nose tells me that #2 Heating oil is the same as diesel... just the color is not right. Again, however, I do not know the answer to hrajotte's question. :-)

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 12:03PM
bus_driver

Your furnace will love the Diesel fuel.

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 12:06PM
weedmeister

Fuel oil is not taxed. It is usually dyed red so that if it is used in an automobile/truck it will show up and the driver fined for using an untaxed fuel.

Some years ago they were different in that fuel oil was not low sulpher. But I think today that all suppliers provide the same ULS product for both fuel oil and vehicles.

The one thing that might be different is winterization. Around here, starting Nov 1 kerosene is mixed with road diesel to prevent freezing at low temperatures. It should still burn just fine with the fuel oil you have.

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 4:12PM
hrajotte

Yes, it is hot air, and yes, #2 is pushing $3.75 a gallon here in Massachusetts. Fortunately, we only have to turn it up late afternoon and early evening, as nobody is home during the day so we keep it around 55 degrees. Likewise at night, because the wife has about 6 blankets on the bed. We only use 300 to 400 gallons a year.
I figured diesel would be OK because I have seen heating oil being pumped into off-road construction equipment, such as excavators, at work sites.
Thanks all, we'll be pumping it in this weekend.
I agree with the Navy man, love the smell!!!

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
Nozzle size for Oil Burner ??
I have a Slant fin oil furnace that heats my water...
big_al_41
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
bdubb5
carrier infinity with greenspeed service settings
We just built a new home in central Kansas this year,...
Energywise.ks
Manual J -> S ->D
JSHR: 0.81 MJ8 Tons: 3.03 SqFt/Ton: 1667 CFM/SqFt:...
Brian S
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™