Recyling Flowers

lulie___wayneDecember 8, 2004

For those of you who have been caring for graves for a while now, do you ever use flowers over again? My attic looks like I own a florist shop. When I take flowers from the grave when the season changes, if they don't look badly, sometimes I use them again. Of course, another reason that I haven't wanted to throw them away is because they were next to Chris or Mom for weeks or months. Another one of those "grief things". :-(

Lu

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Nell Jean

Sometimes they're usable if the foil and ribbons are replaced. The pots that have cement or plaster and a square of styrofoam are certainly reusable with new flowers from a discount store.

It's certainly understandable that you want to keep them. I'm trying not to be sentimental about fake flowers. but I did keep some nice 'silk' roses to maybe use again. My sister went daily for years in the summers to water real geraniums on her husband's grave, three miles away.
Nell

Bookmark   December 9, 2004 at 11:11AM
dian57

Funny you would bring this up, Lulie. My husband is the grave tender of the two of us. He buys the grave blanket, replaces the whirligig, changes the flowers, puts up Brian's little Christmas tree.

I have a collection of things in the trunk of my car--faded flowers, ornaments that broke or came off the tree, birds and flower sprays from the blankets. I can't bring myself to throw them out. I guess he can't either.

Bookmark   December 9, 2004 at 6:39PM
derryw

I've never done the artificial flowers. In summer, I have done cut flowers from the yard. I did try a pot of pansies one winter. Altho they do well on my porch each winter, the small pot at the cemetery froze, for some reason. Sadder than none at all. Derry

Bookmark   December 10, 2004 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Feeling guilty because I miss my dog-Part 2
Three years ago today, I lost my beloved dog Homer....
kms4me
sudden death of husband at 46 years of age
Hi...I stumbled upon this forum and felt compelled...
still_in_shock
Gift
Hello, I joined today because a friend has just lost...
friend2U
Over 10 years and I still miss my dad
My dad died Dec. 27, 1998. He was 59. He was diagnosed...
threeoffour
Seeing a Loved One After They Passed Away
I have heard a few stories of people who have actually...
lulie___wayne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™