Loss of Smell and Taste

enjoyingspringAugust 18, 2011

In the Spring I had a virus and was very sick, as a result I have lost my sense of smell and taste. My doctor is sending me to a ENT but he said it is unlikely he can do anything for me. Apparently once these senses are gone, they are gone for good.

Has anyone else every experienced this???

Looking forward to hearing some positive replies (I hope)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deb_pa

Sort of happened to a friend of mine but not from a virus. As a teenager she fell off the back of a pickup truck, was in a coma for a week and lost both smell and taste senses. It did come back in a few years, taste first, the flavor lime was the first to come back. Then more quickly all of both senses returned. I know this is a different circumstance, but it shows that even with her brain being damaged the brain did reroute or whatever the senses and bring them back. Sort of like people that have strokes with blot clots to the head as my aunt did. She couldn't walk or talk but learned how again. So who knows? I would never say your senses couldn't come back.

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 6:49PM
deb_pa

Here's a link that explains what happened due to the virus and that there is a treatment. You might have to copy and paste the link, I couldn't get it to work by clicking it.

http://www.tasteandsmell.com/jul06.htm

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 6:56PM
pris

What you're experiencing is not at all uncommon. Check out the link to a site. All these people have or had the same or like experience. It might help you to decide how to proceed

Here is a link that might be useful: EHealth Forum

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 7:11PM
enjoyingspring

The odd time I think I can smell something but then it goes away. I can taste sweet and sour and know when something is spicy, but the flavors I can't taste.

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 8:31PM
pris

I have a feeling your problem is primarily with your sense of smell. A good part of your sense of taste comes from what you smell. I remember this from HS biology only because I mentioned what I had learned at the dinner table that night and got into a terrible argument with my stepfather. He said I didn't know what I was talking about. If you can taste sweet, sour, etc. then your taste buds seem to be working ok.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 3:30PM
More Discussions
Blood pressure cuffs in the hospital
I was in the ER a couple of times for pain in my knee,...
emma
Right side chest pain only at night when sleeping
Hi Everyone, I've done some research, and have found...
SconsinKid
Post Pregnancy Joint Pain & Muscle Stiffness
Wondering if others have experienced joint pain and...
Audlee
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
Vitamin D makes my hip ache.....
Has anyone had this to happen? When I try to research...
lovemrmewey
Sponsored Products
Lockheart 4-light Clear Glass Shade Hall/ Foyer Lantern
Overstock.com
Union Leather Sectional
Opulent Items
Lamp International | Aristeo Wall Bracket Li1010
$780.94 | YLighting
Pebble Double-Wall Bottle & Straw
$13.99 | zulily
Kraus C-GV-103-14-12mm-10 Clear Brown Glass Vessel Sink and Waterfall Faucet - C
$239.95 | Hayneedle
Barcelona BA62 Dark Beige Rectangular: 2 Ft. x 3 Ft. Rug
$63.36 | Bellacor
Filament Design Posts Providence 3-Light Outdoor Bronze Incandescent Post Head
Home Depot
Natural Stone Vessel Sink By MaestroBath
maestrobath
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™