Vapor barrier over plywood subfloor?

cdirmannAugust 21, 2012

I purchased a laminate floor that I want to use in my house to replace worn carpet. The subfloor is plywood and it is over an unconditioned crawlspace and the home is located in North Florida so humidity/ moisture are a factor. I've heard that the 6 mil polyethelene should not be used as it would trap moisture in the plywood which may lead to rot or mold; however, that is what the manufacturer of the flooring is suggesting.

What kind of vapor barrier/retarder should I use between the plywood and laminate? Would 15# tar paper work? Or is there something more suited to this installation?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Tough question. I am familiar with what the North Florida environment can do to most anything made of wood, so you are right to be concerned. Moisture passing through a material that then condenses on a barrier is where there could be a problem. Since the crawlspace is unconditioned, then I would assume that you at least have some means for air exchange or venting and that the ground is covered with a moisture barrier.

Very interesting question. Have you consulted with the flooring manufacturer directly about this?

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 5:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhall

I would love to hear what you found out... I am not in North Florida (but the Pacific Northwest). We don't have nearly as high humidity, but we do have a lot of moisture at certain times of the year. I am looking to put laminate over an unconditioned, vented crawlspace as well, and wondering about the use of a vapor barrier between the subflooring and the laminate... Hope you post back if you got an answer!

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Chinese Hardwood Flooring - After Lumber Liquidators & 60 Minutes
Wondering how folks are now feeling about buying imported...
Ken Fisher
Feedback on Shaw Resort Versailles LVT
Looking for feedback from folks who have installed...
nessabea
trying to figure out vinyl vs wood laminate Help !
I am new to using anything other than real wood......
roksee
Jasper wood flooring
Has anyone in here used BuildDirect.com to buy flooring?...
S MacDougall
Can you identify this flooring?
Could you please identify this flooring? Thanks
einajr
Sponsored Products
Frontier Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$345.60 | Bellacor
Bronze Copper Shade Pendant by Tom Dixon
$735.00 | Lumens
Protect-A-Bed Fit & Forget Mattress Encasement
Overstock.com
Windster 36W in. RA-2390 Series Wall Mounted Range Hood - RA-239036