What's a good floor material for unheated sunroom?

2ajsmamaAugust 10, 2009

My parents are replacing all the old jaluousie (sp?) windows in their sunroom today, putting vinyl "beadboard" on the ceiling, had planned on laminate (same as kitchen) for the floor but were just told can't put that in unheated space. DH just tore out their 35-yr old glued-down carpet tiles. Plywood subfloor (scraped relatively clean but still may be a little lumpy). Open underneath, no insulation. Probably not stiff enough for tile (and my mom doesn't want anything that hard and cold since the grandkids play there half the year). I was thinking when they have their deck redone next year, use the same material inside the sunroom? I hope to talk them into cedar or ipe - can those be ripped down to about 1" thick so they won't be above sliding glass door tracks, will they be stable that thin?

I tried telling mom yesterday to make sure they allow for finished floor when they install the doors today, but she just said "the doors will go where they have to go" (pretty low ceiling, 7'6" or 7'9").

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccoombs1

This is so funny....just today I posted this identical thread on a flooring forum! Interesting suggestions so far too!

Here is a link that might be useful: flooring forum

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 3:38PM
homebound

Sounds like some sort of tongue and groove wood flooring would be the way to go.

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 3:41PM
2ajsmama

Oops, sorry, I saw your thread title on this forum, didn't realize it was for a sunroom.

After I posted I started thinking about cork? My great-aunt had a cork kitchen floor for decades...

I don't know about the typical 3/4" T&G (prefinished?) flooring, if that's what you're thinking about. I would think with the temp and humidity swings (well below freezing in winter, up in 90's and humid in summer) that a wood floor you would normally use inside would check, buckle, split. That's why I started off with suggestion of decking type wood?

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
'Nature' Brand Wood Flooring
I'm looking for either Brazilian Walnut or Brazilian...
justhuff
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™