anybody had a hysterectomy?

gandbbJuly 9, 2005

What was the recovery time? It looks like I am headed in that direction and I am wondering what to do about my summer plans. I had a longer than usual recovery with both my previous, unrelated surgeries and am afraid that summer vacations may be unrealistic for me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PeaBee4

Skip making summer plans for this year. It's not so much as how long it will take you to get over the surgery, it's the lasting effects of having anesthesia. It can make you feel yucky for months sometimes. You will have to be careful about lifting things (no suitcases, etc.) and you will tire easily. So unless you are going to have a real laid-back, do-nothing vacation, you would be better off staying in and taking it easy. Doctors usually want six weeks of GOOD BEHAVIOR before they allow normal activities.

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 8:34AM
downsouth

I had a partial hysterectomy in 1986 (still have one ovary). In four weeks I was walking (slowly) at the park around the track. I was going to be out of work for 8 weeks, but I went back to work after 6 weeks.

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 12:16PM
gandbb

Thank you. I m still hoping a hysterectomy won't be necessary. I had a biopsy today. My that was painful. I should know next week what, if anything, I am looking at. I am hoping to be able to travel to Arizona in a couple of weeks, so I need to figure out what to expect.

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 7:31PM
PeaBee4

If it turns out that you need the surgery, perhaps you can schedule it after you get back. Usually, unless it's an emergency surgery of some sort, it will take a couple of weeks or so to get it on the OR schedule in a busy hospital.

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 7:53PM
downsouth

I agree that you should be able to take your trip to Arizona and if the surgery is deemed necessary, ask your doctor if it can be scheduled later. Sorry that your biopsy was painful. I have a very low tolerance to pain myself!

My surgery was medically necessary, as I had a large tumor, so I wasn't one of those "unnecessary hysterectomies".

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 9:32PM
bulldinkie

My hysterectomy was easier than having my 3 kids at 10Lbs each.They said ask for pain medicine.I didnt have any.I had mine done vaginally

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 8:23AM
gandbb

It was benign. No hysterectomy for me, at least not right away. My doctor thinks my ovaries were trying to squeeze out a couple more eggs - hence the bleeding. I am 58. this is ridiculous.

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 2:11PM
gmom74

Bulldinkie, mine was done vaginally, too. The thing that has the camera on it went into my belly button- I now have an outie- and two bandaid slits on each side of my abdomen, which I can't even see now. Also a tape to watch of the operation whenever I want to remember what it was like. Wonder what I've done with that.. I don't remember any long recovery time.

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 4:03PM
downsouth

Gandbb, if you have made it to age 58 with no hysterectomy, maybe you will never need it! I was only 36 when I had mine. My doctor told me it was all in my head that my hysterectomy caused me to gain weight. I did gain a lot of weight and it even changed my personality (hormonal thing you know!)

If you don't need it, don't have it.

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
Vitamin D makes my hip ache.....
Has anyone had this to happen? When I try to research...
lovemrmewey
Chronic Chapped Lips
I have NEVER had lips that weren't chapped ever since...
ms_minnamouse
Suggest a remedy for chapped hand and breaking of nails
I am a working lady and my work is mostly on computer....
kalifa
Does anyone else have a problem with Dental X-Rays?
I am wondering if it's just me or if anyone else has...
Judith
band aids
My dermatologist introduced me to Coverlet bandages....
shuffles_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™