chemical smell when heat is on ???

shaunJanuary 7, 2010

We have central air/heat. It's in the 30's here in Florida so we tried to use our heat for the first time since last year and it's giving off this chemical iodine smell. This isn't the burning hair smell, it's a chemical odor and it won't go away.

We had the heat on all night long and I woke up the next morning and smelled it. No headaches, no one is drowsy, just an awful smell.

Not sure if it's bad for us so I wont turn it on again. ( I did try it again this morning and that smell was there again so I turned it off)

What could this be? Any ideas? Unit is 6 yrs old and serviced yearly.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

shaun

this is gas heat? sometimes when starting a furnace for the first time, you can have a dusty type smell for the first day. however smells are not normal and source of smell should be identified.

when was last time furnace/system was serviced? do you have a carbon monoxide detector? if not, you should.

there is always the possibility of dirty sock syndrome from your evap coil.

if smell continues and you are unable to locate source, I would call your servicing dealer. I will assumme other family members have noticed smell.

IMO
Good Luck!

Bookmark   January 7, 2010 at 10:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shaun

Hi there - it's electric. It's serviced once a year without fail. Just serviced this past summer so it's not time to do it again.

We do not have a carbon monoxide detector.

I called our service guy and he's coming out tomorrow. He said it might be a heating element.

Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   January 7, 2010 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™