Very prolapsed bladder

ivamaeJuly 12, 2006

Who is needed - a gynecologist or a Urologist?

ivamae

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gazania_gw

A gynecologist is what you need. There are gynecologists who specialize in problems like yours. And there is a good chance that you also have a prolapsed uterus. In most cases correction can be made without an actual incision.

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 3:36PM
ivamae

In my case, I do not have a prolapsed uterus as I no longer have a uterus, in fact. I had very extensive surgery years ago. My gynecologist feels I am not a cnadidate for more surgery. Pessaries have not been the answer. What other options are there? It is not a fun situation.

I really wondered wheher this was the field of a gynecologist or a urologist or if maybe a urologist could be more helpful.

Thanks for your reply gazania
ivamae

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 4:45PM
Vickey__MN

Sounds like you've answered your own question, gynecologist feels your're not a canididate for more surgery, so see the urologist.

Vickey-MN

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 7:02PM
gazania_gw

The 'surgery' to correct a prolapsed bladder is done through the vagina. Sometimes as an outpatient or just one day in the hospital. The surgeon would be a gynecologist. I had it done in January. I spent one night in the hospital as was back to par in less than a week.

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 10:19PM
agnespuffin

The usual surgery now is through the vagina. Some of the older doctors never learned the newer technique. Unless you have had some major reconstructive surgery in that area, I don't see why he is ruling out more surgery. At least for your own peace of mind, get a second opinion from either an urologist or another GYN.

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 12:19PM
ivamae

Thanks for all your concerns. Yes, the problem is that I have already had very major reconstructive surgery in the area. He doesn't feel it wise to try to attempt more and expect satisfacory results.

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 12:33PM
gazania_gw

Do get a second opinion to make sure you know all your options. In 2002 I was in surgery for 6 hours to repair a cystocele, a severe rectocele and complete tear of the vaginal wall. At the time a hysterectomy was done also. This surgery was done through an abdominal incision. I then spent 2 weeks in a rehab hospital before I could come home. This past January, I had to have more work on the rectocele, plus a bladder suspension. This was done vaginally. A new procedure that my doctor (from UPMC Hospital in Pittsburgh) has done research on worked wonders. I hope you find the help you need to correct this problem.

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
Chronic Chapped Lips
I have NEVER had lips that weren't chapped ever since...
ms_minnamouse
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes for...
texasone
Painful Spots of Roof of Mouth
Has anyone had these? Every once in a while, I get...
houseful
Taking yourself off Paxil without side effects...???
One of my dear friends, J, had been taking Paxil for...
sooz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™