hydrocodone vs. tylenol w/ codeine #4

ponyboy_2006July 29, 2006

i have been taking hydrocodone for a couple of years because of back problems and surgeries that go way back to when i was a kid.

not much, 1-3 per day, some days none. but it never knocked me out, just relieved the pain so i could be active.

last week, in the interest of saving $20., i switched to tylenol w/ codeine #4. i thought it was the same thing. but it knocks me out. why? did i waste my money? or will i get accustomed to it and that effect go away?

or is it just me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lee676

Not sure what you mean by "knocks you out" - makes you groggy in the manner of Benadryl, or just sort of fuzzy headed (i've heard both descriptions from others, although I don't get either effect myself. I do find it has a noticeable sedating effect though). Probably you will get accustomed to it, and in a few weeks the side effects will wane (as with other opiates/opioids). I find it takes longer with codeine than with hydrocodone or oxycodone though.

Hydrocodone is alot like codeine, except that codeine is a natural derivative of opium plants whilst hydrocodone is synthetic. Hydrocodone is also much stronger, so the 60mg of codeine in a Tylenol #4 tablet is about as effective as 10mg of hydrocodone.

Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
Painful Spots of Roof of Mouth
Has anyone had these? Every once in a while, I get...
houseful
drug addiction
I'm really worried about my son. I think he is addicted...
clairdo2
Weird Situation
Note: This question is asked on behalf of friend One...
Jikoimary
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes for...
texasone
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™