Carpeting Quote - Am I Being Scammed?

batchgwAugust 23, 2012

I'm a first time home buyer so I'm not sure how this stuff works.

I'm attaching a picture of our floor plan. I have concerns on the entire quote but for now I'm just asking about the master bedroom.

The floor plan equates to about 24 square yards. I understand that its extra for the walk in closet and the entry and also wastage. Lets say all that is 6 more square yards - total of 30 square yards.

However, the quote I'm being given is 36 square yards. Does this make sense?? I tried to talk to the vendor but was not able to understand what all he was saying.

Thanks in advance. I'll attach a picture of the vendor's markup in the next post.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
batchgw

Attaching the drawing that the vendor gave.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 12:44PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

When you use 12' carpet, if you want fewer seams, that means you have to buy more carpet. They could probably do it with less carpet, but you'd have a bunch of seams everywhere. You're only gonna have one seam in the bedroom itself for the way they've laid it out.

Why aren't you looking at 15' carpet? You'd have less wastage and less seams if you are doing the whole house in the same carpet.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 8:40PM
weedyacres

What's the rip-off, IMO, is not the extra carpet, which is needed for the waste, but the fact that if you have to buy 36 yards to cover 24 yards of actual floor, they charge you for 36 yards of installation. The extra carpet isn't installed, it's thrown away. Why should they charge for it???

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 6:03AM
More Discussions
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
Need help getting ink/marker off hard wood flooring
Anyone had a child mark on their hardwood floors with...
mattsarmymom
has anyone put down oiled wood floors?
i fell in love with floors by a company called DuChateau....
Bridget Helm
Water-based finish over dark stained floors?
Hi all, Folks are about to start flooring work on my...
afrochic2
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™