Can you fill your heating oil tank yourself?

rowen402January 22, 2011

I live in Massachusetts and the heating oil tank in an investment property I own has just run out of oil. The house is vacant and I am concerned about pipes freezing.

I have tried to get an oil company to come out and fill the tank but they all say at least 3 days notice to come out!

I was wondering could I just buy a tank of oil at a gas station and fill the tank myself? I know it wouldn't last long but it would at least buy me a week or so to get a full oil delivery.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee

I don't see why not, but up in Mass., who knows? You house could use plus/minus one gallon per hour of use. Another problem is that when the tank runs empty, the filter gets all sludged up and needs replacement. Then you have to bleed the line to the burner and hopefully, it will light on the first shot.

Do you see why you should never let the oil tank run empty?

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 7:45AM
mike_home

Call the fuel oil company and tell them you have an emergency situation. They may have a service guy come out with a 5 or 10 gallon container of fuel oil. You may have to pay for this service, but it is better than frozen pipes.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 9:55AM
bus_driver

Filling the tank with Diesel fuel will work perfectly if the normal fill is #2 heating oil. Your furnace will be happy. Use K-1 if the Diesel is not available to you. The furnace will be OK with that.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
auxiliary heat vs. emergency heat
Greetings, I have a Bryan Evoltion Control heat pump...
decadent
$10,000 for a Furnace and A/C? Seems pricey....
Hello, So we bought our house a bit over a year ago...
bonsaicowboy
Floor Air Register and ductwork
In recently doing light cleaning on air registers in...
Char Holdenried
Does anyone have experience with an R6GI?
I'm looking at some options to replace one of my HVAC...
aggieben
Nozzle size for Oil Burner ??
I have a Slant fin oil furnace that heats my water...
big_al_41
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™