Terrible allergies... Please help

mcasselJuly 7, 2008

Hi,

I normally get hay fever in April/May which lasts for a few weeks then goes for the year... I normally take some Claritin for the short period I have the symptoms and my symptoms are gone...

At the end of May this year I moved into a new home where I used Brazilian Walnut/IPE as my interior flooring and my allergies are as bad as ever, even taking Claritin and Sudafed I'm still pretty miserable and I'm into July a time when I normally don't have allergies... I have read several articles about taking care during installation of Brazilian Walnut because of the fine dust can cause reactions but could it be causing an allergic reaction after its been installed?

Does anyone know if this year is particularly bad for hay fever suffers? Could it be something in the new house, I built the house using pretty eco friendly materials?

any help you could give would be truly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

It could be the new house, or maybe just something in the neighborhood.

It's time to see an allergist to get prescription type medication. The OTC things are quite good, but sometimes, the body needs a little extra help.

Our spring season here did not follow the usual blooming cycle. The trees, etc, started, then there was a cold spell, and then a warm period and the trees started spreading pollen again. I found it to be a much longer period than usual. AND worse of all, the grass pollen seems to have started earlier than usual. Perhaps you have developed a summertime grass allergy. I'm sorry to tell you, but that's not an unusual thing.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 10:44AM
JoAnn_Fla

Have you tried Nasal Irrigation? It may clear up the problem. check out the video and read the instructions there.

Here is a link that might be useful: video

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 10:33PM
trancegemini_wa

I can see where working with it would be a problem because it would be very dusty work. Did you get them varnished or sealed? If they are bare timber you might want to consider it because it would stop any dust, but if you've already had them sealed then I dont see how it could be the flooring causing it and like others have said, it may be something else that's growing near your house, or another allergen coming from somewhere else. If it's getting really bad then you should get tested to see what youre reacting to.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 3:44PM
lydia1959

Have you heard of naet treatments? Sounds weird, but lots of people say it works for allergies. Might be worth a try? A google search will bring up links.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Chronic Chapped Lips
I have NEVER had lips that weren't chapped ever since...
ms_minnamouse
Relentless Night Cough/Post Nasal Drip
Hello, I am desperately seeking information/advice...
wowibrug
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes for...
texasone
Tennis Elbow
Was just dx with a tennis elbow...Besides taking the...
anicee
Sponsored Products
Soleil Grande Clear One-Light Pendant with Antique Bronze Canopy
Bellacor
Outdoor Decorative Lighting: Gama Sonic Address Numbers Letters & Plaques
$39.98 | Home Depot
Bruck | Zara Down Pendant Light
$195.75 | YLighting
Vig Furniture - Versus Eva Ultra Modern White Entertainment Center...
Great Furniture Deal
Fairy Dust Tinker Bell Cookie Jar
$36.99 | zulily
Jofran 698 Baroque Brown 6 Piece Occasional Table Set
Beyond Stores
Ryder Leather Chair - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Fiberbuilt Concrete Black 19'' 55 Pound Umbrella Base
$91.00 | LuxeDecor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™