transition strip choices

myschmoopyAugust 13, 2012

I have vinyl sheeting, transitioning to stained concrete. It is an even transition but I need something to finsh off. Any suggestions? Definitely NOT those junky metal strips, but I don't know what to use. Anything I see that is considered a transition strip has some type of height from one area to the other.Do I just stain and glue a thin strip of wood? Thanks for input or suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sophie Wheeler

A thin piece of stainless, copper, or brass could be custom manufactured to cover the cut edge of the vinyl, but it would still need to have holes in it to be fastened down to the floor. That wouldn't leave it looking much different than a traditional metal transition piece. A thin piece of wood wouldn't have enough structural integrity to hold up under foot traffic. It would need to be a much thicker, traditional threshold to stand up. There are always marble saddles that are more typically used in a bath situation.

You will have to be the judge on the aesthetics here, but you do need some type of strip to hold down the edge of the vinyl. It will be a trip hazard if it works loose.

    Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 1:18PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
LVT or Tile
I am trying to decide what to replace my carpet in...
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
Wood-flooring vs tile in home with dog
I'm remodeling my 2-story condo and replacing flooring....
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™