Help: Have American prescription for Canadian Drug

marie26July 17, 2005

My daughter received a prescription from her doctor here in the U.S. for a drug that is only available in Canada. The medicine has had very good results for people with her condition (gastritis). We live about 6 hours from the Canadian border.

Will the drug companies that mail medicine from Canada accept a prescription for medicine the FDA has not yet approved in the States? Which companies are most reliable to work with? Will these companies accept U.S. Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance?

If she cannot use these mail order companies, how do we get the medicine? Will a pharmacy just over the border accept an American prescription? Will they accept U.S. health insurance? Or must she go to a Canadian doctor to get the prescription?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It looks like no one has an answer to this question , so I will add to this post just to get it to move !

    Bookmark   August 14, 2005 at 5:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Best thing would be to email a Canadian pharmacy here in Canada and inquire as to their procedures.
btw: what's the med? Could it be otc here?

    Bookmark   August 16, 2005 at 8:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I don't know the answer to how you get the prescription, but as for your question about insurance; the question is not "will the Canadian pharmacy accept my insurance?". The question is "will my insurance company pay for treatment obtained outside the United States?", and "will my insurance company pay for non-FDA-approved medication?". Insurance companies choose what and who they will pay for, not the other way around. Ask your insurance company. Some policies cover international care if necessary, some don't. My guess is they will not cover non-FDA approved medication, regardless of what country you purchase it in.

    Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 8:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Why doesn't she ask her doctor how he expects her to get it filled? He might have the perfect solution to the problem.

    Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 10:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I did some research and found out that she has to go to a clinic in Canada for a check-up. Then the doctor will write the prescription(s) needed which a Canadian pharmacy will fill. The pharmacy I spoke to will even mail me the medicine quarterly for a year.

We hope to get up to Canada to visit my son in September and will try to get this taken care of at that time.

The medicine is available in the States but only by one company that will do mail order. It's also more expensive than in Canada.

    Bookmark   August 20, 2005 at 1:47AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
band aids
My dermatologist introduced me to Coverlet bandages....
Finally Got My Kidney
Was on dialysis 9 years,On Thanksgiving eve they called...
itchy skin eczema?
I have been itching and scratching since the end of...
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
Any help for balance problems?
I hope someone can relate. I have terrible balance...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™