Carpet runner on stairs?

drewemAugust 9, 2012

We choose to upgrade the stairs to oak treads/risers, stained to match the foyer hardwood floor. It is a staircase with some steps, a landing, then it turns with more steps.

The railing will have a double bullnose, and will be stained to match floor. Same with the thick support baulisters. The spindles are going to be white, and will be changed in the future to the iron kind. The landing will be the same wood floor as the foyer. No carpet on it.

I am trying to decide if I want the stair runner or not. It's low end builders grade carpet.

I think it will look nice in the future with the iron spindles, and no runner.

But with boys (6, 8) I was advised to do the carpet runner.

What are your thoughts? We have the said stairs in the current home, but with the runner, and carpet on the landing. I was looking forward to not vaccumming the new ones!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drewem

Also, would they slip on an all wood staircase?

Thanks!

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 11:49AM
Irene1953

Bare stairs cause three unwanted issues: noise, dirt, and falling hazards. Hard sole shoes really make a great deal of noise. Dust and dirt show-up daily and travel everywhere without a rug to catch the particals. The treads will always look dirty. And children really do get more injuries falling wood then on carpet. Been there done that. I would not go without some type of carpet on the stairs. Nice oriental runners are very nice and you can use small iron rods to hold the runner in place on each tread. Just goggle "oriental floor runners" Wow the choices.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 5:51AM
fsmemphis

You can also have a custom rug cut and seen for the stairs to compliment other decor in your home. This often works better for stairs, since the size of stairs often varies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Any of these carpets can be retrofitted for a rug.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 8:33PM
hobbydecorator

I have very young children (5, 2, 1) and have never had any problems on my hardwood staircase w/o carpet runner. My husband and I personally don't like carpet runners bc of having to vacuum the stairs to get the dog hair off. With the hardwood it looks gorgeous and many times i just sweep it, or get a paper towel for quick wiping and that is about it! I don't miss it at all. Most new builds in my neighborhood chose the no carpet runner option. And for some reason, I for some reason have issues with slipping on carpet on the stairs, but not the hardwood stairs. also, our children do not wear socks on the stairs. We only are barefoot on the stairs because that is just how we are in the house, generally

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 10:07PM
jeff1137

Stairs are the most difficult traffic area for carpet to begin with. So installing a low end carpet on stairs will likely lead to rapid wear on the edge of the stair tread. I suspect you will be greatly disappointed by doing that.

A runner as previously suggested would be a better choice.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 10:45AM
attofarad

My neighbor had pretty polished brass rods, and anchors, holding her runner to her hardwood stairs. Quite lovely.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Need help getting ink/marker off hard wood flooring
Anyone had a child mark on their hardwood floors with...
mattsarmymom
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
What is the size of your longest hardwood floor boards?
What ranges are the sizes of your hard wood floor boards...
tlbean2004
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™