What's "Technical Porcelain"?

ahmnjAugust 24, 2014

Greetings,

I'm trying to finalize the tile flooring for a Master Bath remodel, and in looking at different manufacturers, Some of them are using the phrase "Technical Porcelain Floor" vs. just calling them porcelain tiles. Does anyone have a clue what that means, or if it's different than just a porcelain tile? A quick Google search hasn't turned up anything obvious.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diudiuwang

Here are some tips for you http://www.fastfifa14.com and if you think it's useful please share it with your frieds.TKS :)

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 3:17AM
StoneTech

Sounds like BS to me. There are only two types of porcelain...."Face Porcelain" or "Full Body"

The first only has the design on the face...the second has the colour completely thru the material, so that if you need to cut or bullnose it, the colour is consistent.

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 3:06PM
ahmnj

Thanks, StoneTech - I suspected it was some kind of "Marketing-Speak". It's on a bunch of the Porcelanosa materials.

I appreciate the distinction!

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 3:38PM
sombreuil_mongrel

Maybe it's their term for "rectified' porcelain; the kind that has been milled perfectly square to allow narrower grout lines.
Casey

Bookmark   August 31, 2014 at 6:09PM
StoneTech

Can you post a link for the Mfg. of that product? I'm doing some looking into it for you......

Bookmark   August 31, 2014 at 7:21PM
ahmnj

Thanks Casey & Stoneking - it could just be some fancy term indicating their "best" porcelain, or rectified products.

The term is used a lot on the Porcelanosa site - describing their "Urbatek" line - http://www.porcelanosa.com/gb/floor-tiles/urbatek-through-body-porcelain.php

They do have another page of "Porcelain Floor Tiles", but it includes the above tiles as well as others... so I guess that confirms that the "Technical Porcelain Floor" products are porcelain. Again, could just be marketing-speak.

Found the term at another site as well: http://www.canaroma.ca/brand-fiandre-tiles.php. They are a Canadian tile retailer - the term is used to describe their "Fiandre" lines of floor tiles. Interesting, they also carry Porcelanosa tiles...

I can't seem to find the term more broadly used.

It's probably not worth a lot of time, but I did just think it was odd...

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelanosa Urbatek Products

Bookmark   August 31, 2014 at 9:49PM
StoneTech

I started a discussion on this at JB Forums in the "Pro's Hangout" and got some interesting responses. Apparently, some companies do make a product that is a little more "green friendly" (whatever that means) uses some different compounds, etc.

I don't see a lot of advantages here for the average homeowner though. More $ for the Company, I guess.

There was a lot of "Tech Speak" I won't bore you with, but distilled down, you get-

Technical Porcelain
Porcelain tile that has been fired even more to have an absorption of 0.1% or less is often referred to as a âÂÂtechnicalâ porcelain.These products tend to be expensive due to the increased energy requirements to produce them. Technical porcelains are used in environments where stain resistance is critical.

Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 9:44AM
ahmnj

Thank you, StoneTech! I don't know that I need the extra heavy-duty porcelain, but I appreciate knowing that it IS indeed porcelain, and if anything, a better quality product. Now, I just have to figure out what I want the bathroom to look like.. :)

Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 10:37PM
StoneTech

Don't pay more for this...unless you are making porcelean tooth coverings or space shuttle tiles.......

Bookmark   September 5, 2014 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
Matte or shiny hardwood floors...what's your preference?
We are going to sand and refinish our floors. What...
jtaime2
Please help - can't find a review anywhere
I haven't been able to find any consumer feedback on...
ciana
Brazilian Cherry with infloor heat, rug or no rug
We just got our in floor heat installed in the sunroom. Hoping...
sewwhatsnew
Has anyone used Wicanders Vinyl Comfort flooring?
I'm really struggling to find the right floor for my...
lovelierthoughts
Chinese Hardwood Flooring - After Lumber Liquidators & 60 Minutes
Wondering how folks are now feeling about buying imported...
Ken Fisher
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™