First post - Need advice

VicTx2012August 19, 2012

I am thinking of installing engineered wood in my house in Houston,TX. It has to be engineered wood because of humidity. I want to go with either Brazilian Cherry or Santos Mahogany - the color of which MUST compliment / match the color of my existing red oak flooring downstairs.

This flooring will go on second floor where I have Berber carpet on plywood. The staircases and the trims will (including risers and treads) will have the same wood.

I planning to give the work to a flooring company which will provide me the wood, all the accessories - glues,trims, staircase nose etc. and the labor

I NEED your help in

0) Deciding the brand. I am thinking of going with either Johnson or Mannington 5" plank.

1) Calculating the cost of complete installation (excluding staircase) using a 5 mm thick APC cork underlayment which will be glued to plywood and wood will be glued to the cork. Approx. area including 7 % wastage is 1405 Sq Ft.

1.1) How much shall I pay for leveling the the surface since my house is 11 years old and at few places it may have some tips. I know it is hard to guess unless we take out the carpet BUT for estimating how much should it cost? What kind of leveling cement will you use?

2)Calculating cost for the complete installation on the stair case including risers. The stair case has 15 steps (including 2 large landing areas due to curvature of the staircase).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

You need to get quotes from several local flooring stores and compare them, but you also need to re-examine your specs for the job. Some of them are incorrect and a waste of money.

What's wrong with using red oak upstairs. It will be much more cohesive than using an exotic would. The graining pattern in the oak will also be much more forgiving to live with as far as maintenance than the closed smooth grain of either of your choices, especially if you choose a gloss finish.

Glue down is for concrete, not a second floor with a wood subfloor. That's a naildown situation.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
concret floors
can you put linoleum on bare concret floors
marykwiley
Carpet removal cost seems high, is it?
I got a quote for new carpet in a new-to-me house....
prettybluehouse
3/8 vs 1/2 inch thick engineered hardwood for staple down installation
We are trying to decide between two similar engineered...
chellefnp
cleaning hardwood floors & tile floors
What's best way to clean hardwood floors.... how can...
kat123
Bamboo Floor Disaster
Hi, I got new bamboo floors when I renovated my NYC...
katefriedmann
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™