Shedding the inside lining of your mouth

zoewolfJune 6, 2007

I brush my teeth and use mouthwash probably too much, as I am constantly having to pull these long, white, string like pieces of mucos from the insides of my cheeks and gums. I asked my dentist awhile ago about this, and she said that this has happened to her on occassion also. Said it was probably just a reaction to the toothpaste that I use.

Anyone else have this somewhat embarrassing (especially in public) situation happen to them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ARUM

YES! You may be allergic to your toothpaste, I was. Colgate. Change toothpaste, then if you don't see a difference, change mouthwash. Bet you a dollar that's what it is, an allergy. :) arum

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 8:49PM
carolpolki

I had this problem also. I was told it is from the whitening agents they put into toothpaste these days. I tried a store brand that wasn't labeled "whitener". It still happened. I then switched to a natural brand of toothpaste and it went away immediately. I'm never going back.

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 12:34PM
socks

If you think you might use mouthwash too much, maybe you should try cutting back on that too.

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 7:54PM
hazmom

It may also be a mild side effect of medications you are taking...

Bookmark   September 19, 2007 at 5:34PM
acey

It may also be dehydration. I'm a sales rep in Florida and would go from call to call to call, in my hot car, in the hot sun only stopping for lunch where I'd drink soooo much iced tea...I had my boss tell me on one or more occasions that she'd never seen anyone consume as much tea during one sitting as I would.

Anyhow, a few years ago, I decided to increase my water intake, and I carry water with me in the car now. I drink at least 10 or 12 eight ounce glasses of water daily, and I know every clean bathroom in my territory!!!!

Point being, when I really became habituated to drinking water regularly (before I felt thirst), I noticed those stringy white things gone. And when I do see one, I can honestly say I was not consuming my water.

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 9:02AM
Nike

I'm soooo glad to see that I'm not the ONLY one! It's so embarrassing when that happens. I used to have it catch on my lower row of braces. Ugh.

A lot of the different brands of toothpaste do it to me also. I hate that. Plus when I would ask people about it they all looked at me as if I were crazy. Ugh.

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 2:13AM
pushistik

This has nothing to do with a toothpaste. This is some type of east infection and to prove the point try to rinse mouth with baking soda solution and brush teeth with baking soda couple of times a day. In a few days it will be gone. The solution is as simple as that!

Bookmark   December 26, 2008 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
Taking yourself off Paxil without side effects...???
One of my dear friends, J, had been taking Paxil for...
sooz
Does anyone else have a problem with Dental X-Rays?
I am wondering if it's just me or if anyone else has...
Judith
Tennis Elbow
Was just dx with a tennis elbow...Besides taking the...
anicee
Anyone heard of Ageless Xtra?
Hi everyone, I usually post and lunk on the decorating...
customdecorator
shingles
i've been told if i don't move around so much that...
brightmoregirl
Sponsored Products
Metal Base Glass Bubble Shade Modern Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Cotton Sateen 400 Thread Count Sheet Set with Bonus Pillowcases (6-piece set)
Overstock.com
Pineapple Border Wool Indoor Rug
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
Rugged Brown Circle Rings Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Littered Letter Collage Books - Set Of 3
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Glistening Ridge Rug 8' x 10' - WHITE
$2,499.00 | Horchow
Shower Curtain Unique from DiaNoche Designs by Mandy Budan - Carnelian Morning
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Veranda Brown Rectangular: 5 Ft. 2 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug