Tile vs. Stained Concrete

appledecoAugust 19, 2009

Can anyone tell me the the cost comparison between tile and stained concrete? Any other pros and cons I should be aware of?

We're about to buy a house and we'd like to replace the existing tile. I'm wanting to go really dark, like a black brown. I have found a tile I like that is commercial grade, but costs $4.50/sq. ft (designer discount, materials only, I'm thinking installation would add at least $4 to that). I'd like to spend 1/2 that.

The house is from the 70s and has a concrete subfloor. Is stained concrete a viable option for me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Avanti Tile & Stone

Stained concrete looks great. I saw a liquor store that did it....

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 7:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loves2read

personally I love stained concrete but be aware that not everyone does
if you plan to move in next few years it is probably less expensive to have your floors tiled because that seems to be the more popular flooring choice between the two...

having concrete professionally stained can be expensive because of the coats/treatment that you choose...
the looks that really capture my attention are the ones with several shades in same color family and good wax jobs...
you also have to consider the quality of the original concrete that would be stained--some concrete is not that smooth--might have damage from construction or having carpet changed out...glue can cause discolorations when stain is added so the floor needs to be cleaned
much depends on the area that you live in--some areas are more attuned to using stained concrete...price can vary by area, the work parameters, the contractor...
some people try to do it themselves but some of the machinery is heavy and difficult to move in/use...
run some searches here
people have asked about it before

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 11:38AM
More Discussions
Help with floor height difference between kitchen and other rooms
So, I've never really done home renovations before,...
Aubrey Curtis
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
How many different types of floors are ok in a house?
We currently have one type of hardwood in the formal...
emma018
Bamboo flooring from LL bad odor
I purchased morning star bamboo strand click flooring...
rg100
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™