Direction of flooring for this room

smilinghouseAugust 29, 2012

I was hoping to get some help with how to lay the hardwood in this room. The picture shows the view from the front window in the living room (front of the house) .There a two sets of two stairs, one leading up to the kitchen and one to the living room. Does the flooring need to run the width of the island or does it matter. I feel it has to go length wise staring from the front window so that it is the same as the stairs that will be the same hardwood. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NWFACP

Typically mfg & NWFA recommend running lengthwise toward the light. It is not uncommon to reverse direction say in a hall for instance. I don't know what your subfloor is but if suspended joists the hardwood needs to across the floor joists or apply additional plywood if you want to run parallel to the floor joists. Mfg guidelines dictate this requirement please follow them. Any installer should know what I am talking about or don't use them. Your stating stairs up to kitchen and down to another room indicate plywood over joists. Concrete it doesn't matter.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
Is my home now un-inhabitable due to asbestos?
I have 9x9 tiles in my laundry room which I was told...
Howard
trying to figure out vinyl vs wood laminate Help !
I am new to using anything other than real wood......
roksee
Flooring For 3 Season Room
A friend has a 3 season room that has carpet over a...
mike_kaiser_gw
Carpet removal cost seems high, is it?
I got a quote for new carpet in a new-to-me house....
prettybluehouse
Experiences with vinyl flooring
Hello, I was wondering individuals experiences with...
einajr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™