Anyone know of a Canadian website where drugs are cheaper?

chery2June 11, 2008

ANTHEM just informed me that PROVIGIL was being "removed from the formulary" and would now cost me $516 per prescription [formerly $30]. According to the doctor, there IS NO substitute for Provigil. I came across some hospital information that said Provigil's generic was Modafinil. When I called the pharmacist, she said, "All drugs have generics -- but that doesn't mean they'll be marketed." When I asked why a drug company would NOT market a generic, she told me that her "best guess" would be that the company still held the patent on the drug.

My BIL buys outrageously expensive meds through a Canadian website. I havent' been able to find one that carries Provigil or Modafinil. Can anyone help?

chery2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heather1970

I'm in the exact same boat. I've found a good price at Valuepharmaceuticals but am leery of purchasing something like this over the internet. I'm trying to research the name at the moment. I may just take the plunge and go ahead and order some. 90 100 mg tablets are 90 bucks. It costs me almost 90 bucks to get 7 200 mg tablets that I break in half. The price of this is outrageous. I read somewhere that the patent on modafinil has expired but the manufacturer has paid large sums of money to other manufacturers to keep them from producing it until 2012.
If I can get a diagnosis of apnea my insurance will cover it, so I'm hoping that a sleep study will help me out.
Also, in Canada Provigil is called Alertec, if that helps.

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 8:07PM
chery2

Heather, thanks so much for your reply. Knowing that
in Canada Provigil is called Alertec should help a lot. Good luck with your diagnosis!
chery2

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 8:33PM
khandi

Be careful when buying prescription drugs over the internet. They had a segment on this on TV not long ago, Americans buying Canadian drugs. A lot of times, the "pills" don't contain the medication that you're looking to get. So, in fact, you're getting ripped off!

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 7:46AM
mariend

Basically it is because they are not dealing with Canadian companies. They seem to be from Canada but are from a 3rd world company.
Many people here used to get their drugs from Canada, but went to a Dr. there first. Much cheaper, but now with all the drug plans have stopped going as much. As to your drug they won't cover find out why in writing, not talk to someone on the phone and contact the drug company direct. Blue Cross is going thru some big adjustments and I have had discussions with the Drug part several time and I refuse to back down. It is my understanding if there is a generic, the insurance company must offer it with the Dr's permission.

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 5:36PM
dreamgarden

I've researched meds on the internet but have yet to purchase anything because of all the spam I got when I sent an inquiry to one place. After reading the following article, I might consider giving it a try.

ABC news-June 20th: "Save Thousands On Your Health Care". A lot of good advice as well as links to sites where one can buy less expensive drugs from reputable pharmacies in Canada, the U.S. and other countries.

Check out the related articles at the end of this article that talk about generic meds. Very good info about the differences between generics vs brand.

"Are Generic Drugs Safe" and
"The Truth Behind Generic Drugs"
A link that might be useful:

Save Thousands On Your Health Care
abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=5206937

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Weird Situation
Note: This question is asked on behalf of friend One...
Jikoimary
Blood pressure cuffs in the hospital
I was in the ER a couple of times for pain in my knee,...
emma
Painful Spots of Roof of Mouth
Has anyone had these? Every once in a while, I get...
houseful
a night guard for teeth grinding, worth the money?
Many times with many different dentists it has been...
bug_girl
Vitamin D makes my hip ache.....
Has anyone had this to happen? When I try to research...
lovemrmewey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™