Does laminate chip?

hedgehoggyAugust 13, 2012

I am trying to decide on flooring choices for our new build. I have found the following laminate (link below)and really am impressed with the look of it as I wasn't even considering laminate until I saw this product in store. It is an 8mm from Shaw. I am wondering if anyone has experienced chipping (or any other problems) with laminate (and if so what was the chip a result of).

https://services.shawinc.com/ProductInformation/ProductBulletin.aspx?StyleNumber=SA511&ColorNumber=00777

Thanks for all opinions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Sure laminate can chip. Just drop something heavy on it as a point load. It can also swell and buckle if exposed to moisture or installed without an expansion gap. If it's shiny, but especially shiny and dark, it can show footprints and dirt much worse than matte, but that's a characteristic of shiny, not necessarily laminate.

Wood can do all of those things as well, but there is more wood under the chip. It's not a printed picture of wood with MDF underneath. Wood can also swell if exposed to moisture, but about 70% of the time, if you dry it out fast enough, it will just return to normal with no real lasting damage. Wood also adds some value to your home. Laminate does not and never will. "Laminate wood floor" is an oxymoron coined by realtors trying to prey on the ignorance of buyers.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
Difference visually between 1/8 and 3/16 grout joints?
We're thinking 1/8 but the installer is suggesting...
joep_2009
Tigerwood Flooring - if you have it would you do it again
We are considering putting in Tigerwood flooring. We...
snowcamp
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
Filler in travertine marble tiles is coming out causing pitting
We put travertine marble throughout our house. We were...
caribbeancupcake
Natural hickory...yes or no....pics inside
I got a sample box and put it out on over the carpet...I...
msekfe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™