Temp fix for hardwood floors

alyxmjAugust 1, 2014

We have a 1950s house with hardwood flooring of some kind in the living room. It was covered by carpet, but after potty training a dog or two, I tore it out. In a few months we are going to be putting vinyl floor planks down, but in the meantime the floors are in horrible shape.
The current finish is thin to non existent throughout the room and have new dogs going through potty training so cleaning multiple times a day and worried about water damage.
Is there a cheap finish that will help control damage until we can get better flooring in? Tempted to just paint the floors, but don't want to have to strip paint later if we, or future owners, decide to take it down to the hardwood again. The room is less than 200 sqft and would prefer not to sand if possible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MizLizzie

I have done temporary restorations on hardwood twice with Howard's Feed 'n Wax for furniture. Once on old parquet and once on 4-inch oak. This makes them look rich and beautiful for several months -- but in a matt kind of way, like old-fashioned oiled hardwood. I love the look, but it takes elbow grease and knee pads. And while it will repel dog pee somewhat, it won't completely seal the floors. Advantage is, there's nothing to strip off if you decide later to refinish. Link below. Truly amazing stuff. You could also try Howard's Restore A Finish, but I have never used it on floors, only furniture, where it can bring the dead back to life.

Another cheap option if you are unconcerned about looks would be to just purchase a big sheet of vinyl flooring off the roll from one of the big box stores and tack it down temporarily.

Here is a link that might be useful: Howard's products at Amazon

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 12:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

I'd lay down some cheap sheet vinyl. The in-stock stuff costs under $1/sf.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
Suggestions for Beach House Flooring
Building a 2500 SF house and 500 SF carriage house...
cobbyw
Color/species of new wood floor next to original VG Fir?
Our 1918 house was added on to in the 80's and rather...
fjernsyn
Un-level kitchen and associated issues...
So my wife and I just finished a renovation of our...
hundredwaters
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
Filler in travertine marble tiles is coming out causing pitting
We put travertine marble throughout our house. We were...
caribbeancupcake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™