insect bites or hives

judys_ontJune 8, 2004

For the past couple of days I have been getting either bites or hives appear on only one side of my body. They look like bites, but they are appearing on my stomach and upper thigh, where a mosquito couldn't have gotten. I was wearing long pants when this started also. The marks come up 2 at a time which is weird. So far I have eight. There is not a lot of discomfort although they are a little itcy and maybe burn a little. Of course, if the condition worsens I will see the doctor, but I thought I would get some opinions from here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vickey__MN

Try benedryl (or any antihistamine). It will help with either.

Vickey-MN

Bookmark   June 8, 2004 at 9:04AM
Gina_W

When I had shingles last year I thought they were bug bites too. Burning and tingling in the area clued me that these weren't bug bites. I went to the doc that day and confirmed a light shingles outbreak. Caught it in time (before the REAL pain) and got the drugs.

Bookmark   June 8, 2004 at 5:23PM
judys_ont

The pharmacist told me they were insect bites. That is what they look like to me, but I can't understand how I have 8 of them--4 of them being on the very upper thigh and 2 on my stomach. I was wearing long pants all the time.
I have had shingles and it doesn't feel like that, although I am keeping an open mind on that.
Anyway, I got some cortisone cream, (recommended by the pharmacist). Hope that helps. He said if it flares up, then I should try an anti-histamine.
Thanks

Bookmark   June 9, 2004 at 9:14AM
lindac

Chiggers.....they find a spot beneath your clothing and burrow in....itch like fury!
Some say to paint the bites with clear nail polish....and I know that a NSAID like ibuprofin helps relieve the itch.
Linda C

Bookmark   June 9, 2004 at 11:13PM
gardengardengardenga

the pharmacist is not a doctor, they only know what drugs do, they may think they know but they are not doctors of medicine only those who dispense the drugs and its use.

Bookmark   June 21, 2004 at 1:47AM
judys_ont

I did not expect the pharmacist to be a doctor. I know better than that. I only wanted a recommendation on an ointment that would reduce the itching. I showed him the marks and he offered me his opinion.
I quite understand the difference in the two fields. However, I give a lot of credit to pharmacists for having a broad knowledge of the medical field, not only the medicine he/she dispenses. My uncle was a pharmacist so I know first hand. Believe me, they are there for consultation in you want, but would refer you to your family doctor in a second if he felt the slightest need for it.

Bookmark   June 21, 2004 at 2:07PM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

Mosquitoes bite through my clothing all the time.
Sammy

Bookmark   June 25, 2004 at 11:45AM
cheerful1_gw

I was diagnosed with chigger bites 12 days ago. I was working outside and had sprayed myself against our large mosquito population. I got 6 bites on one arm, and one bite on the other. I was told to use a prescription steroid cream and 2 Benadryl every night for two weeks. The bites have subsided, but the Benadryl is making me really dopey.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 6:58AM
DimeADozen

I would probably put Caladryl on it. That works good for bug bites, as well as poison ivy. It takes the sting out of it, and makes it less itchy.

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 2:52PM
vala55

My husband and my son both had an episode of hives and they look like welts, not bug bits.

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Anyone heard of Ageless Xtra?
Hi everyone, I usually post and lunk on the decorating...
customdecorator
a night guard for teeth grinding, worth the money?
Many times with many different dentists it has been...
bug_girl
air purifier, blueair 650E/IQ healthpro plus/whirlpool AP51030K
I am considering buying one or two more air purifiers...
janesylvia
Weird Situation
Note: This question is asked on behalf of friend One...
Jikoimary
Gluten-free diet may do more harm than good
I'm not sure about you but I've been hearing from friends,...
Konrad___far_north
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™