After Thyroidectomy

gneegirlJune 22, 2009

Hi everyone.

I'm usually on one of the other Forums, but didn't want to tie up the other Forums with my health questions - thought his Forum might be better.

I am almost 2 weeks out from a complete thyroidectomy. At first I was fine. About a day or so later I developed critically severe hypocalcemia and was hospital for the better part of 3 days, trying to get my Calcium levels to even a normal range. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, is it permanent? I found out from the surgeon that the para thyroids on the right side had to be removed, but I do have them on the left side.

The main reson for my post though, I'm also diabetic. My A1c has been in the 6.3 - 6.8 range for 2 years, and I'm on a very low dose of Januvia, once a day. My pre-op physical showed an A1c of 5.8. After the thyroidectomy, my BS has been in the 90 - 110 range w/o meds, and I'm eating just about anything (or at least that I can tolerate post-surgery). Before it would hover around 118-130, and up to 167ish after meals. I'm hoping this will remain, especially if I watch my nutrtional intake. Is this normal - stabalized BS w/o thyroid?

I was reading something about obesity and the choices people make. No, I'm not 500lbs, but can stand to loose more than a few. But since the thyroidectomy, I'm convinced that there is more to it than diet. I've lost weight and my BS dropped I know people that eat me under the table and look like a rail. Following the glycemic index is probably the best "diet", I think, but I'm wondering if my bad thyroid was limiting my results. Anyone familiar with this - Curious, more than anything.

Thanks!!

gneegirl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dreamgarden

"I'm usually on one of the other Forums, but didn't want to tie up the other Forums with my health questions - thought his Forum might be better."

You might give this forum a try. Best of luck (and health) to you.

A link that might be useful:

About.com/Thyroid forum

forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?
nav=messages&webtag=ab-thyroid&lgnF=y

Bookmark   July 12, 2009 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
Painful Spots of Roof of Mouth
Has anyone had these? Every once in a while, I get...
houseful
Vitamin D makes my hip ache.....
Has anyone had this to happen? When I try to research...
lovemrmewey
Anyone heard of Ageless Xtra?
Hi everyone, I usually post and lunk on the decorating...
customdecorator
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
Post Pregnancy Joint Pain & Muscle Stiffness
Wondering if others have experienced joint pain and...
Audlee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™