Tile versus Carpet for Basement

btheisAugust 25, 2012

Hi Folks,

I've searched the posts and can't find a discussion of tile vs. carpet for basement floors. Thus, I seek your opinion.

Current basement floor is carpet over tile. Basement flooded about 5 years ago due to hydrostatic pressure from really heavy rains. Installed an interior French drain and that seems to have solved the problem. No flooding since then despite the same conditions occurring several times during the last couple of years.

Our water heater failed about a month ago and did further damage to the carpet in the basement.

Wife is of the mind that "What else can happen" so let�s re-carpet.

I'm of the mind of "be done with it" as with tile I can just mop up any water.

Carpet will run +-$2,100, tile will be +-$3,600 both include materials.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don92

In a basement, tile over heat strips is as good as it gets. Feels good on the toes and depending on how much you cover, could heat the space.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 3:52PM
glennsfc

That said...and you can lay down attractive area rugs and clean or replace them should a water event occur again.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 4:27PM
Locrian

Hi Betheis. I didn't have any floods to contend with...just the Great Grey-green, Greasy Limpopo River flowing through the back yard turning it into the Swamp of Despair. (HOA is responsible for common areas abutting yards & hasn't corrected the drainage issues...we've done all we can within the yard...)

We're laying wood-grain plank 6"x24" ceramic tiles next weekend. I'd debated over tiling the entire basement, weighing pros & cons. Thought about floating laminate or engineered wood, possibly cork, too. Once I saw a sample floor in the "Birch Beige" wood-grain it was all over.

It's worth the consideration and looking into. Your wife may just like the hardwood-floor look like I did =>.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
has anyone put down oiled wood floors?
i fell in love with floors by a company called DuChateau....
Bridget Helm
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
What is the size of your longest hardwood floor boards?
What ranges are the sizes of your hard wood floor boards...
tlbean2004
Indusparquet...opinions, please
After a frustrating on-off search for over two year,...
joyintx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™